Pumpkin puree... Too much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHomeSoapCo

Reaction score
My second time making pumpkin soap. Last time was a year ago. Well it had also been a few months since I've made any soap at all and although i thought i prepared well i forgot a few things... First mistake was mixing my lye with frozen coconut milk cubes and not using an ice bath. The milk started to saponify and i did not run it through a strainer when pouring into the oils. So I've got lumpy batter. But to get to my main question and my next mistake, i second guessed myself and added double the pumpkin puree that i should have. I portioned out for 3 colors and 30oz pumpkin was mixed into about 94oz of soap batter. This is wayyyyy too much. So will it go rancid? Is it just a wait & see game? Or can anyone give any input?

Did you use a 50/50 lye mix with the coconut milk? You should have used roughly 20 oz liquid for full water and your pumpkin puree would act as water replacement. So that puts you 10 oz over plus however much liquid you used for your lye. Looks like you have two choices, rebatch in a crockpot and try to cook off some of the liquid or sit it out for months and let it dry out. The pumpkin puree should not go rancid it is not an oil, and if kept with good air circulation I would not think it will mold, but will take a long time to dry out

Luckily the bars are not very soft! Here is my full recipe. Milk was at a full 38%.

47.5oz coconut milk
16.5oz lye
32oz olive oil
32oz tallow
25oz shea butter
25oz coconut oil
11oz castor oil
30oz pumpkin puree---- oops, should have only been 15oz
8tsp sugar

I was too anxious to finally make soap after such a long break that i forgot that the pumpkin was part of the water content! The previous/first time I made this same recipe i used 5oz/Tbsp pumpkin in an 80oz total oil batch. The pumpkin was put into a third of the batter and it made a beautiful orange color! This time i thought that the color wasnt right in the bowl and so stupidly I added the second can of pumpkin! ughhhh

Here's the ugly extra pumpkin soap

1444869462933.jpg

Latest posts

Back