Pumpkin Patch mess

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annmarie0407

Reaction score
So, I made pumpkin soap last night and just took it out of the mold. I was so excited when I noticed I did not have to pry my mold sides off the soap. I did notice the soap seems rather DRY and after I cut it I noticed they started cracking.......I took a few pics.

Maybe you can help me figure out what happened?

Here is the recipe I used for my 4lb mold

CO 13.8oz
OO 18.4oz
Canola oil 4.6oz
Palm oil 4.6oz

15oz of water instead of 18oz (because I used 3oz of Pumpkin -added at med trace)
8.93 oz lye

1 oz castor oil added at trace

my.php
[/url]

I can not answer your question, but they sure are pretty to look at! :D

Digit

Feelin your pumpkin pain!

My pumpkin soap wasn't dry, but it didn't work out for me either.

My HP batch started turning dark as soon as I added the pumpkin pie spice and even darker (nearly black) when I added the FO.
The FO I used smelled soooo good, too; Pumpkin Apple Butter from Nature's Garden. But I wanted orange soap!

I think it's a pumpkin revolt.

Annmarie0407 said:
So, I made pumpkin soap last night and just took it out of the mold. I was so excited when I noticed I did not have to pry my mold sides off the soap. I did notice the soap seems rather DRY and after I cut it I noticed they started cracking.......I took a few pics.

Maybe you can help me figure out what happened?

Here is the recipe I used for my 4lb mold

CO 13.8oz
OO 18.4oz
Canola oil 4.6oz
Palm oil 4.6oz

15oz of water instead of 18oz (because I used 3oz of Pumpkin -added at med trace)
8.93 oz lye

1 oz castor oil added at trace

Can you do me a huge favor? Recheck your recipe.

I ran your recipe through every single calc I could find, then figured it by hand. According to my calculations you used almost 30% more lye than you should have. Every time I added it up with al lye discount of 5 to 6% I figure the amount you would use at around 6.05 oz.

Be very careful.

Back