Pumpkin FO, no spice. Is it possible to find?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all my SMF friends! I've been a bit absent lately. So many things have popped in to my life that needed my attention, all not so good, so I've been an emotional wreck. I see the light at the end of the tunnel though, so I'm praying we get a break from heartache.

I was recently at Trader Joe's a found a fabulous Pumpkin Body Butter. It has a lovely, sweet pumpkin scent but NO spices. I really want to try my hand at replicating the butter, primarily the scent. I've been surfing all my usual FO suppliers and it's hard to find pumpkin that doesn't include cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. I've also searched through the SMF FO review spreadsheet and no luck. The one's I've found that might work are Indigo's Sweet Pumpkin Puree, WSP's Pumpkin Coconut Cream or BB's Pumpkin & Brown Sugar or Pumpkin Lager. Have any of you tried these? If so, what are your thoughts?

TIA everyone and I hope to be able to spend more time on the forum!

Hi Krista! I'm sorry to hear life has not been so great lately.

I love Sweet Pumpkin from Elements Bath & Body. It smells like pumpkin pie with whip cream to me and it's not very spicy. I would be happy to send you some. I have a lot and don't use it much. I did not really like it in soap and that's all I make now. It was great in lotion and scrubs. I made some for friends a while back and everyone loved it. PM me if you are interested.

Hi Krista! I'm sorry to hear life has not been so great lately.

I love Sweet Pumpkin from Elements Bath & Body. It smells like pumpkin pie with whip cream to me and it's not very spicy. I would be happy to send you some. I have a lot and don't use it much. I did not really like it in soap and that's all I make now. It was great in lotion and scrubs. I made some for friends a while back and everyone loved it. PM me if you are interested.

Hi jblaney! I looked at EBB's Sweet Pumpkin and it sounds perfect, but.... it lists the use rate for soap and lotion at 0.56% so it might be too light in body products. Lotion and cream, maybe. Did the scent come through at the low use rate?

Thanks lsg! I looked through all the pumpkin scents they have and all mention spices except Pumpkin Walnut Biscotti. I'm thinking about that one.

Pumpkin Lager is great but it isn't a pure pumpkin scent. To me, it has a scent of pumpkin, a sharp beery scent, and underneath that, spices.

Ooohhh, thanks Dixie! Since I want a relaxing body butter or lotion, I think I'll skip the sharp beery scent. :)

WSP Pumpkin Coconut Cream is lovely but not a lick of pumpkin in it.

WSP White Pumpkin Puree is also a trap. Cinnamon all the way.

Don't fall for Pumpkin Pickin either...

Let me know if you find a good one!

ETA: BB pumpkin and brown sugar does not smell great oob to me either.

Last edited:
I can't help with a pumpkin scent for body butter, but I'll interject that I subbed pumpkin puree once for about half of the water in cp salt bars, and the beautiful natural scent stayed for several months. I have a sharp sniffer though, so ymmv. It didn't last forever but it was enough for me to want to experiment again with the real deal.

Good luck finding something for your body butter. Fingers crossed jblaney has your ticket.

Hmmm. I don't think I used Sweet Pumkin at such a low usage rate. It is very strong and for a lotion it may be fine at that %. I used it for scrubs at higher and had no issues. It smells fantastic!

Hmmm. I don't think I used Sweet Pumkin at such a low usage rate. It is very strong and for a lotion it may be fine at that %. I used it for scrubs at higher and had no issues. It smells fantastic!

I might take you up on your offer to share, jblaney! I'll drop you a PM. It really sounds like the scent I'm looking for in lotion and body butter.

I did an experiment tonight making wax melts (since that's all I had time for). I used WSP Pumkin Pickin blended with Peak's Coconut Cream, 50:50. I think I like it! It's still got some spice but it's toned down with the sweet coconut. I think I've got 5 different pumpkin spice FO's and the Pumkin Pickin has the least amount of spice, to my nose anyway. I'm going to let them cure several days before I pop one in my burner to see how I like the scent.

I had to drive several hundred miles today for doc appts with family. All results good so, whew! My hubby had a total knee replacement less than 2 weeks ago and he's walking with no assistance and taking only Tylenol for pain. Again, whew! He's an extreme athlete so I didn't expect anything less from him but he's such a PITA patient, lol! I get a bit testy because I deal with patients like that all day then come home to it. I NEED A VACATION FROM SICK PEOPLE!!!!! So I'm here and relaxing thinking about soap and lotion.....I feel much better now.....:)

In CP the pumpkin pickin cured out to mostly nutmeg for me. It might be better in b&b though.

Latest posts

Back