Pumpkin and Coffee

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
Pumpkin and Coffee soap, which I just cut today.

20.60oz water
10.52oz lye
14oz CO
42oz Lard
10oz OO

6oz pumpkin puree
4oz coffee infused OO

Oils and lye solution mixed together at around 110 degrees F.

This batch didn't come out exactly as I had pictured. The idea in my head was of a deep orange pumpkin color mixed with a dark brown (almost black) color. A black and orange theme as a belated halloween soap.
Instead I got a cream and light brown color.

Also, I think I made the mistake of trying to prevent gel, as I had read that fruit has a lot of sugar in it and could possibly cause the batch to overheat. So, I stuck in the fridge overnight, confident of my decision ... until I went back and did a little more research. I think it would have been fine if I left it out overnight, on the counter, unwrapped (I really didn't want it to over heat!). So far, I'm not a fan of preventing gel.

Also, I think the big white circle in the middle is a semi-gelled portion, and ash on top? Not really sure. This is only my third batch.

... I also cut it way too early. Didn't even wait 24 hours (I know! I know!). So it was a bit soft and sticky, and messed some of the cuts up good.

Lesson learned: Stick to the basics for now and stop getting so creative!

1447376720165.jpg

1447376761308.jpg

Thank you! I cut the bars down a bit (since they were kinda big), cleaned them up, and wiped off as much of the ash as I could. So they don't look that bad, haha.
And hey, I still made soap completely from scratch, which is pretty amazing in itself. :)

I like them. I hope they are as amazing as they are said to be. I'm sold on coffee soap so far but never tried pumpkin, let alone a combo of the two.

Latest posts

Back