Pumice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
Wondering....where to buy other than online? Looked at local stores, nothing similar. What does it even look like. Gray gritty sand? I did buy a scouring stick today at wal-mart called a pumie scouring stick made by United States Pumice Company. Brought it home and crushed it up really fine. That's what it looks like, gray gritty sand. Wanting to make a soap for out in DH's shop. Something to clean off grease grime & grit. Something kinda like lava maybe.

The pumice that I buy (online) is very pale gray/off-white in color, and comes in different grades from fine to coarse. I like the fine grade best for me because I don't like my scrubby soap to be too scrubbie/scratchy.

According to this site, you might be able to find pumice locally at the hardware store or the pharmacy, or you can just grind up a pumice stone like you did.

IrishLass :)

Lori said:
Wondering....where to buy other than online? Looked at local stores, nothing similar. What does it even look like. Gray gritty sand? I did buy a scouring stick today at wal-mart called a pumie scouring stick made by United States Pumice Company. Brought it home and crushed it up really fine. That's what it looks like, gray gritty sand. Wanting to make a soap for out in DH's shop. Something to clean off grease grime & grit. Something kinda like lava maybe.

www.amazon.com

Some hardware stores do carry it, but they might call it pumice dust.
Also, some art stores carry it because some painters use it in their primer.

But I actually get mine from WSP. I don't usually send people there, but I haven't found many other suppliers of pumice and it's less than $5/lb, which lasts a long time.

I get my pumice online also, so no help to finding it locally.....but you could consider other scrubby things that you might be able to find locally. Dried Orange peels or orange peel powder, poppy seeds, sugar, salt are some food items that you can add to either a soap or a scrub.

Thanks all. I am trying to make a mechanics soap for my DH to use out in the shop. Something that will do a bit better than Lava Soap. I did a bit of looking and what I bought should be fine. It's just a pumice bar. Bought it at walmart on the household cleaner section. Brought it home and smashed it with a hammer, then kept crunching it up till I got a powder. The bar cost I think $1.88. I crushed up about 1/2 of the bar and got a little over 1 tbsp. Thanks for all the help.

Back