Pumice Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrie28

Reaction score
Hi all haven’t been on here in a while however I need your opinions, help, advice.
I’ve made liquid soap twice. First batch came out fantastic. Followed a copy recipe of DR BONNERS.
Second batch was very cloudy and after hours trying to fix it I decided to give up. Poured it in a tub put the lid on and thought it can be a project for another day. So a couple of weeks ago I opened it still cloudy no miracle happened and decided to add some pumice to it, just to see what would happen. Today I reheated the liquid added some salt as it was water thin and also 1% KOH mixture to see if I could get it clear. I left it heating for 2 to 3 hours while stirring. End product is clearer but darker in colour and it’s thick but not foaming very well. I’m thinking the PH is to high also.
I’m sure that I’ve gone against every soap makers directions but I would really love to get feedback on what I did. Should I have just thrown it out? Please be nice, laughing is allowed lol. thanks Kerrie
04F08AD8-2855-4AE8-9A9A-DD379676CFB1.jpeg

You'll have to tell us more about your soap if you want decent advice.

Give ingredients in weights -- don't mix percents with weights, please. All ingredients, not just fats and lye. Methods used to make each batch. What did you do different for Batch 1 compared with Batch 2?

Also I question your addition of pumice to the soap. Even micas, which have a much finer particle size, don't stay suspended from what I hear (haven't tried it myself).

I suspect the pumice will just settle to the bottom of the container.

Did you reheat the batch over direct heat or in a water bath? IMHO, a water bath is the only way to reheat liquid soap and adding extra KOH and such.

Back