Pumice as an additive

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
For those of you who add pumice to your bars, what size of particles do you use?

I did see that Wholesale supply particle size is #0-1/2--I think that means very fine particles suitable for gentle exfoliation.

I used pumice years ago in a mechanic's soap. I don't recall a size on it. Personally I can't think of it as gently exfoliating. Then again, I've used ground seeds that made the pumice seem much gentler. Lol, so I'd give it a try.

Mine doesn't have a grain size but its the extra fine. Its almost too gentle for a proper mechanics soap.
I've made a exfoliating facial cleanser with it, its that gentle.

I've also used the extra fine version. Tbh, I could hardly even feel it; next time I would either increase the size or at least the amount. It was really hardly noticeable.

Its been a long time since I bought mine, I can't remember exactly where it came from. Provably was wholesale supply plus, I was buying lots of stuff from then around that time.

I think I would go up to the fine if I ever needed to buy any again. I still have a pound, I just don't use it often. I really should, my hubby needs a good grease remover. I remember using 1/4 cup ppo and thinking I could have used more.

I first tried pumice from Camden Grey and it was too large; you could see it protruding out from the soap after you used it a few times. I'm now using American Soap Supplies pumice - the description states that it's a 'fine' pumice. I like it. I use up to 3Tbs PPO to get the scrubbiness I prefer in my gardener/mechanic soaps.

I do have the extra fine and fine from WSP but haven't tried them yet. I can open them up today and compare how they feel, but I have to run to an appointment now...

I use the Camden Gray extra fine. I wouldn't use it on my face, I I like it in my gardener's soap.

How does fine pumice compare with bentonite clay in terms of scrubbiness and cost?
Bentonite clay isn't exfoliating at all, in my experience. It absorbs lots of water - when I add it to a soap, I hold back some of the water from my lye solution to mix with the clay to make a slurry before adding it to the oils and stickblending well before adding my lye water. Pumice goes in at trace so it doesn't settle out. Pumice is $3.95 per pound and bentonite is $2.63 per pound where I get mine.

https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...nd/V000638.html#q=Pumice&lang=default&start=1
I have only used this one. First batch I used it on, I think I added 3 or 4 Tbsps at medium trace. I dubbed it my sandpaper no skin soap. That pumice is on the big side. OH is a mechanic and he loved it. Got all of the grease off. Me personally, I could only use it on my hands and very gently my arms. Elsewhere was a no go.

Second batch I used 2 to 3 tsps this time and it could have used another tsp from what he said.

@CathyB,
I haven't soaped with them yet, but I compared the feel of the superfine and regular pumice from WSP in my hand and the regular (#0-1/2) is definitely grittier.
The superfine almost feels as smooth as cornstarch, it's pretty smooth. Good thing it was cheap because I'm probably not going to like it in a gardener/mechanic soap. Maybe I can use it in my salt scrub??
The regular is grittier than the one I'm using from American Soap Supplies so it should offer more scrubbiness, but I don't think it will be too rough. I actually think I might like that one the best. Of course, it all depends on what you like. My hands are pretty tough...I like really hot water and scrubby soap on them (when they're dirty) 🌱

I don’t know anything about ‘particle size’. I tried Pumice Sand (from BrambleBerry), but I wanted some finer so I bought Pumice Powder. It provides additional cleaning power without feeling gritty and rinses nicely.

Atiz and Obsidian, where did you purchase your pumice? I am looking for something that will really scrub grease off as well.
The company "make your own" Get the Buzz to make, Get what you need, make your own! - Makeyourown.buzz
carries different sizes of pumice, along with walnut shells and that is where I get mine.

I also use ground walnut shells for a renewable source scrub. They don't work as well for a mechanics scrub but customers love them for a cleansing scrub.

I also use ground walnut shells for a renewable source scrub.

I had bought some ground walnut shells and used it for a soap, but pulled it for personal use only because I didn't want to get sued by anyone with nut allergies.
And even though I would win because the soap was clearly labeled in red that it contained walnut shells, it would still cost because I would have to pay for an attorney and then waste additional time and money if I got attorney's fees. There are just too many other options for exfoliation.

I had bought some ground walnut shells and used it for a soap, but pulled it for personal use only because I didn't want to get sued by anyone with nut allergies.
And even though I would win because the soap was clearly labeled in red that it contained walnut shells, it would still cost because I would have to pay for an attorney and then waste additional time and money if I got attorney's fees. There are just too many other options for exfoliation.
I can understand that. I should have said "testers" as I am not actually selling any soap as of yet. And I won't be selling any until at least May at the soonest.

I gave some to some friends who have been testing soaps for me and I made sure that they knew it had walnut shells and or possibly walnuts in it.

Latest posts

Back