pulling away

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotts71

Reaction score
Any ideas on exactly what makes the wax once cooled, pull away from the side--only one side or part of a side. I'm using par/soy (10oz par/6oz soy) 1.2 oz of fo. Almost all of the candles I have made pull partially away from the side. Is my house to cool maybe and one side is cooling to quickly? My melt temps and pour temp are per instructions. I've heated glass jars (170 degs) in oven before pour. They only sit for a few mins before the pour. Could I be pouring to quickly? It has done this with every jar type I've tried. I have bought some of the textured (outside) jelly jars so you can't see very well. Doesn't seem to affect the burn or the throw just the apperance.

Please help my ugly candles!!!

Hey there! I make my own parasoy blend using 65/35 percentage. But the candle will pull away from the sides because of some shrinkage. Since you didn't add any additives like stearic acid, this is why the candle pulled away from the sides.

pepperi27 said:
Hey there! I make my own parasoy blend using 65/35 percentage. But the candle will pull away from the sides because of some shrinkage. Since you didn't add any additives like stearic acid, this is why the candle pulled away from the sides.

so putting stearidc acid will keep this from pulling away--at what percentage do you add

Great question...
I wondered why I was getting wetting spots on my container candles also. I am anxious to find out where to get stearic acid and how much to add to the wax.

these spots dont look wet-- is it still called that? They look dry more like an air pocket and its kind of almost powery looking sort of. Just dry pocket.

spotts71 said:
these spots dont look wet-- is it still called that? They look dry more like an air pocket and its kind of almost powery looking sort of. Just dry pocket.
Yes, they are still called wet spots even though they don't look wet. You get them because it's in waxs nature to shrink as cooling (even the so called "non-shrink" container waxes) There are steps out ther ethat will temporarily prevent them, but the best advice is to embrace them and get used to them. Chandler's really notice them more than the average consumer though...

I agree with what people have said here; however, i wouldn't worry about the "wet spots" (I have always just called them what they are.....air pockets). They will go away as you burn your candle. Honestly, I used to fuss over that kind of stuff and nobody else could see them but me so I don't really worry about them.

When I pour my containers, I pour them half full, let them cure, poke 1" relief holes at north, south, east, and west around the wick, finish the pour, and let it cure for another 24 hours. I get VERY small air pocket and the ones that are there along the side nobody can see.

Remember, when you are doing container candles, "Don't sweat the small stuff....and most things are 'small stuff'".

Latest posts

Back