Pull Through tips & tricks.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried doing video, but I’m not good at it. I post some on IG, but not a lot of shapers follow me, so there’s no point. I’ve got lots of weird little things that I find helpful. Mostly it’s just a lot of prep. I follow the directions I got with my tool.
Here, line the squeeze bottles with bags, tape the bags down, then poke a couple of holes near the top edge to let the air in the bottle out. Or else your bag won’t hold as much as it can. (Pic below)
And, tape a long pipette tip to the nozzle, and clip nozzle and pipette tip to about 1/4”.

Attachments

• 1494763C-89B4-43F0-9BF6-26DD1B037D4B.jpeg
    1494763C-89B4-43F0-9BF6-26DD1B037D4B.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 12B655CF-8788-480F-A260-212701B6747D.jpeg
    12B655CF-8788-480F-A260-212701B6747D.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 79
  • C06DA7AA-76E2-4922-BE3C-77B1DFA3E630.jpeg
    C06DA7AA-76E2-4922-BE3C-77B1DFA3E630.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 80
Just watched those videos, now I wanna try it! Lol! Looking around my house to see what I can dismantle and turn into a pull tool (like the plastic tote basket in one of the videos)! You are inspiring 😁

@TashaBird your pull-throughs are the standard now 💓

Quite a process you have set up, but I can see now why your soaps are all so uniform. A sign of a good process - it's repeatable.

And thank you for sharing your pics. I was having a hard time visualizing poking the hole in the top of the bag to release air - a picture is worth a thousand words! I tried using bottles one time and gave up because I hated fooling with the bag. I was going to try again w/o them but thought the cleanup would be a PIA so I've been procrastinating. Now maybe I'll try again. I did just get an Amazon package with some air bags yesterday...

@TashaBird your pull-throughs are the standard now 💓

Quite a process you have set up, but I can see now why your soaps are all so uniform. A sign of a good process - it's repeatable.

And thank you for sharing your pics. I was having a hard time visualizing poking the hole in the top of the bag to release air - a picture is worth a thousand words! I tried using bottles one time and gave up because I hated fooling with the bag. I was going to try again w/o them but thought the cleanup would be a PIA so I've been procrastinating. Now maybe I'll try again. I did just get an Amazon package with some air bags yesterday...
With the bags clean up is so easy, and I can reuse the bottles. I swear I’m almost as pleased with how my clean up process is progressing, as I am with the soap!
And, with the bags, I remove them and squeeze the left over batter into individual cavity molds and get some super cute soaps!

@TashaBird
Since everyone says you're the best at this, have you tried making custom plates that aren't just a repeating pattern? I wanted to try a pull through soap for Halloween with maybe a ghost or pumpkin plate (which I'd have to make) but don't know if it would have the same effect, the holes not being evenly spaced and all. Don't know if it would end up looking like mud or not.

@TashaBird
Since everyone says you're the best at this, have you tried making custom plates that aren't just a repeating pattern? I wanted to try a pull through soap for Halloween with maybe a ghost or pumpkin plate (which I'd have to make) but don't know if it would have the same effect, the holes not being evenly spaced and all. Don't know if it would end up looking like mud or not.
I’m trying SO hard to get some made right now! The butterfly and dragon fly worked fairly well. The snowflake might be better as a negative. I’m also trying to get a Christmas tree. I hope I can get some soon.

I’m trying SO hard to get some made right now! The butterfly and dragon fly worked fairly well. The snowflake might be better as a negative. I’m also trying to get a Christmas tree. I hope I can get some soon.
What are you using to make the plates with? I have some metal lids I was going to use my Dremel tool on to cut in designs and my mold is a length of pvc pipe. The Dremel idea may not work, i haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thick acrylic or plastic might work better, I'm just trying to stick with what I have on-hand.

What are you using to make the plates with? I have some metal lids I was going to use my Dremel tool on to cut in designs and my mold is a length of pvc pipe. The Dremel idea may not work, i haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thick acrylic or plastic might work better, I'm just trying to stick with what I have on-hand.
I’m going to try a lid from an old plastic storage tote. I got a bird shape half cut out with an exacto knife and it was super hard! Might try my pyrography machine, could cut with heat.

The problem with metal lids is that usually the metal will have a bad reaction with the lye in the soap batter. If it happens to be aluminum, the lye will burn right through it.

When and if I run out of those packing bags again, I will try dog poo bags next. I’ve used produce bags, and ziplocks with decent success too.
Do they even make those fold-top sandwich bags any more, the ones we all used for school lunches before they made ziplocks? It seems like those might be the right size and consistency.

ETA: and they are cheap, and clear. I looked at dog poo bags, but they are all colored, so it would make it hard to see the batter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back