Pull Through tips & tricks.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they even make those fold-top sandwich bags any more, the ones we all used for school lunches before they made ziplocks? It seems like those might be the right size and consistency.
I’ve thought of those too. I think they may be too short for the amount of batter I like to use. The packing air bags are 4x8”, so, something around that size.

The problem with metal lids is that usually the metal will have a bad reaction with the lye in the soap batter. If it happens to be aluminum, the lye will burn right through it.
Would it work for a couple of rounds?

I follow you on IG! And I watch every single thing :)

I'm also one of those who came here hoping for a tutorial from YOU haha. This technique turns out beautiful results (for some lol) but I'm too scared to try - first, it's CP lol and second, I'm still not familiar with how the colorants I have will work in my recipes.

But definitely, hands down, you've got this technique in your pocket lol

Do they even make those fold-top sandwich bags any more, the ones we all used for school lunches before they made ziplocks? It seems like those might be the right size and consistency.

ETA: and they are cheap, and clear. I looked at dog poo bags, but they are all colored, so it would make it hard to see the batter.
I've seen the fold tops at Dollar Tree. They probably carry them at other discount stores too.

@TashaBird
I was wondering the same thing, if it would work long enough (in my case probably one pull) just to see if it *would* work. Not really any use in making a bunch of soap til you know if the first one turned out okay.

Would it work for a couple of rounds?
I think the issue is the lye + metal reaction is pretty nasty. Take a look at some videos re: lye and aluminum to see what happens. Not sure if the fumes are also toxic, but if the lye degrades the metal, causing metallic substances to be in your soap, then that’s a recipe for DOS. I can’t say for sure that’s what will happen, but it isn’t something I’d want to risk bc I’d hate to throw out soap if it did.

I think the issue is the lye + metal reaction is pretty nasty. Take a look at some videos re: lye and aluminum to see what happens. Not sure if the fumes are also toxic, but if the lye degrades the metal, causing metallic substances to be in your soap, then that’s a recipe for DOS. I can’t say for sure that’s what will happen, but it isn’t something I’d want to risk bc I’d hate to throw out soap if it did.
Good points, may be better to work with plastic if possible.

[QUOTE="TashaBird, post: 846090, member: 46291]...Would [metal lids] work for a couple of rounds?
[/QUOTE]

I definitely wouldn't use anything aluminum due to the fast chemical reaction between aluminum and active lye that forms sodium aluminate (potentially a skin irritant) and hydrogen gas (flammable, explosive). I'll concede there's only going to be a small amount of these chemicals evolved during the time you use the die, so a person could argue using aluminum for a die is a risk, but a relatively small one.

But even if you aren't too concerned about the hydrogen gas and sodium aluminate, think about the time and trouble you'll spend making a die only to see it corrode and deteriorate after only a short time. Is it worth it?

A steel lid would technically work and will last awhile, but iron and the other metals in steel alloys will tend to increase the chance of rancidity (aka DOS). Many of the spots of DOS that are commonly found in soap are very likely caused by iron-based contamination.

Absolutely avoid anything that contains copper -- pure copper, brass, bronze. I guarantee the soap will develop DOS from exposure to copper.

I love making the pull through method. I used use the bags but, the clean up really wasn’t bad to get the bottles clean. Made some last Saturday and I used mostly neons. The flower petals turned our nice.
the best way for me instead of pouring blobs down inside with the tapped droppers, is holding a long skinny chopstick while I squeeze the soap on the side of the stick. It hits the middle perfectly and doesn’t sink in the lower colors. Of course my batter was to fluid when I started. Waited a few minutes before I pulled up the flower. Worked better for this way than squeezing down onto the soap.

Last edited:
Small tip of the day:
I chose my tool because the maker put the hole for the rod on the side. I haven’t used a center mounted rod, but I think these are an improvement. So, after making all the layers, it’s time to pull up the rod. I tape mine to keep up from moving too much. I learned a few times not to let the ends stick. Fold em over so you’ve got pull tabs. Way easier for slippery hands!!
That’s it, thanks for coming to my class.
😆😆😆

I do get weirdly happy about my set up, and my clean up process too.

Attachments

• FE9D0CC2-9D80-4A50-848B-4BB66557AD29.jpeg
    FE9D0CC2-9D80-4A50-848B-4BB66557AD29.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 818977EC-F376-4706-94C9-F9B0BBBA1FA6.jpeg
    818977EC-F376-4706-94C9-F9B0BBBA1FA6.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 7DBD9E3D-B471-4887-AFE7-3AF4F678DD5D.jpeg
    7DBD9E3D-B471-4887-AFE7-3AF4F678DD5D.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 35
When and if I run out of those packing bags again, I will try dog poo bags next. I’ve used produce bags, and ziplocks with decent success too.
I custom make my own bags to fit whatever bottle size I am using. I use the same bags that I custom cut to size for vacuum sealing food into, it didn't require any new equipment. The Food Saver bags are stiff enough that they maintain shape when putting into the bottle. And the stiffness helps when folding them over the bottle opening where the top screws on. And I clean them and re-use them, which is actually easier than cleaning a bottle.

I know some people wouldn't want to clean and re-use bags, but it has been my habit for decades to re-used plastic bags (not the thin-thin flimsy ones, but the sturdy ones, yes).

@earlene what an awesome tip! Do you buy a big roll of the bags at Costco? I’ve seen them there, I believe.

I believe I used to buy them at Costco when I lived in California, but more recently I have also purchased them at Farm & Fleet of all places, because they were on sale and it's right here in town. I don't get over to Costco very often, so haven't really done a price comparison of the FoodSaver bags. I'll take note of it next time I am there.

@TashaBird
I was wondering the same thing, if it would work long enough (in my case probably one pull) just to see if it *would* work. Not really any use in making a bunch of soap til you know if the first one turned out okay.

I have experienced raw soap eating through aluminum foil and then starting in on my aluminum pizza pan. It had spilled over the mold onto the towel underneath, and enough soaked through the towel to burn through the aluminum foil that I cover my pizza pan with (so I don't have to scrub pizza stuff off of it). I sit anything that goes into my oven, including CPOP'd soap molds on top of it, which is how this happened. I caught it because of the smell it was producing. A good long rinsing off with cold water stopped the process, but since that time (a couple or so years ago) I now have a really shiny spot on my pizza pan where the lye had been eating through. I also tend to use a flat piece of cardboard under my CPOP molds a well, to add another protective layer in my CPOP set-up.

I have a photo somewhere of how vinegar can eat through a metal jar lid. It took some time (months, I think), but if vinegar can do this, how will long will one of these lids last being exposed to raw soap? I'd rather use plastic for a pull-through with raw soap.

VinegarEffectsOnMetalJarLids.jpg

I custom make my own bags to fit whatever bottle size I am using. I use the same bags that I custom cut to size for vacuum sealing food into, it didn't require any new equipment. The Food Saver bags are stiff enough that they maintain shape when putting into the bottle. And the stiffness helps when folding them over the bottle opening where the top screws on. And I clean them and re-use them, which is actually easier than cleaning a bottle.

I know some people wouldn't want to clean and re-use bags, but it has been my habit for decades to re-used plastic bags (not the thin-thin flimsy ones, but the sturdy ones, yes).
Ooooh....I got a food saver last Christmas and have bought the big rolls of Costco bags. Thank you for this tip! Great idea.

My friends leaving bags of packing pillows on my door step!
(And this is my love, Tulip. 💖🐶💖)
He/She's such a cutey! Before this past December, I have been critter-less for decades, pretty much since my sons moved out & I started Condo living back in the late 80's. At last I again have a little critter-love again, and boy-oh-boy was I missing out all those years. There is nothing like having a little critter baby in my life again.

But I also am now reminded that I have to keep an eye out for her when making soap, something I haven't had to do ever before because it was just me and my husband. He's curious but understands what's going on. Kitty Baby is just plain curious and not always aware of the need for high cautioun. Generally I only soap when she is sleeping or enclosed on the Catio, but the one day she was intertwining herself between my ankles while I was making soap (she had awakened from her cat-nap & come back downstairs before I knew) was the one time raw soap spattered to land on the rug under my feet. I quickly turned the rug over on top of itself to prevent her from walking on the spot, removed my gloves and checked her for any mishap to herself.

That's a nice use of those air-filled packing bags. What size bottle do that fit into?

Edit (not sure of Tulip's gender, so changed to He/She)

Last edited:
My pull-through tip of the day.

The rest of you probably will say, "DUH!".... But I just had the awesome revelation that I don't need to store the packing pillows full of air.

Since I am going to cut open the tops when I put them in the bottles anyway, who not cut them NOW so they lay folded and flat in my soap cupboard (instead of falling out all over the place because they are filled with air)?

As someone who can be rather OCD about organization and streamlining, it is ridiculous how happy this makes me. 😁

My pull-through tip of the day.

The rest of you probably will say, "DUH!".... But I just had the awesome revelation that I don't need to store the packing pillows full of air.

Since I am going to cut open the tops when I put them in the bottles anyway, who not cut them NOW so they lay folded and flat in my soap cupboard (instead of falling out all over the place because they are filled with air)?

As someone who can be rather OCD about organization and streamlining, it is ridiculous how happy this makes me. 😁
That’s what I’ve been doing! Great minds think alike. Lol

Latest posts

Back