Pull Through Method Using Stencil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really cool. I would like to try some pull through soaps but those are very intricate designs and very expensive. Where can you find some simpler designs that aren't as expensive?

That is really cool. I would like to try some pull through soaps but those are very intricate designs and very expensive. Where can you find some simpler designs that aren't as expensive?
I have 3-d printed the small pvc type ones, and designed one for a loaf mold but haven’t tested it (honeycomb pattern). If you can’t find one let me know, and I might be able to 3-d print one for much less than that, I am limited in size to the bed of my printer size though, which is about 9 or 10” long

I Googled Pull-Through tools or some words to that effect and found a few sources online pretty easily (well, maybe no so easily). Some more affordable and some less so. I did not save them, although I figured I could find them again if I want to purchase. Sometimes, just fine-tuning the search words a few times is required to give me better results. So give that a try. Wait, let me see if I can find what I thought were the better options when I did my search.

Well, let me tell you, this took me much longer to find again! Kaleidoscope was another word I used, as was soap-shaper. There are various labels for these types of tools, making the search more difficult.

Try this source. I like their prices & they have several side-mounted options, as well as square shapes, but still have not gone so far as to purchase. But I'm bookmarking it this time.

Here is a kit for $20: Soap Pulls

There are sets/kits on Etsy, AliExpress, even Amazon, as well as LoveYourSuds and various other places online. The least expensive set I saw was about the $20 ranges, and as high as $95, but when this technique first started, people just made their own out of things like pickle baskets and such. Who knew this whole side-industry would pop up?

The stencil in this video made the pattern so that it showed on the face of the bar and pulled from bottom to top in the mold. How would something like this work in a loaf mold? Would it pull from left to right? Trying to wrap my head around it.

The stencil in this video made the pattern so that it showed on the face of the bar and pulled from bottom to top in the mold. How would something like this work in a loaf mold? Would it pull from left to right? Trying to wrap my head around it.
No, it would still pull through from bottom to top but the soap would need to be cut a different way to show the pattern. If you watch a video for a Taiwan swirl its cut the same way. Hard to explain in a post...for me anyway. Lol

What you can do, and I have seen done using loaf and slab molds, is use several pull-though tools, placed before the pour, then pulled-up carefully once the batter is all poured.

HOWEVER, you can also do a POUR-Through rather than a pull-through technique wherein the tool sits atop the mold and the batter is poured through. I have done it both ways, as a pour-through and as a pull-through. Any number of tools can be used for these techniques. In a loaf of slab mold, you can create your own tools from all sorts of items. If you want more info, search for "pour through pull through soap technique" and you'll find all kinds of information.

But, your idea would probably make for an interesting pattern as well, and I would first experiment with a self made or adapted tool (something you already have at home) to test out the idea.

Adapting small Bubble wands is the way I learned to do pull throughs. I have no pics of my pull-through soaps... sorry! There was a video years ago that showed the technique, but I can't find it anymore - perhaps it's gone. Anywho, the way I adapted the bubble wands was to gently heat the handle so it could then be straightened. My wands have pretty long handles, about 10", but they're older. I'd think one could easily attach a chopstick (etc) to a shorter handle using tape or wire or superglue.

Here's a link to something similar to mine, but with shorter handles. You do get a "drag" mark up one side from the handle, but unless you know what it is, you wouldn't know it wasn't an intended part of the design.
https://www.amazon.com/Bubble-Assortment-outdoors-activity-Assorted/dp/B07Q39KXHN/
I also like doing pour-throughs - such a lovely and fun hot mess!!

I've also heard of people using cookie shooter discs. I've used the liquid blender rod from my hand mixer too. So many possibilities!

I love the idea of the bubble wands. KimW. I had some pretty long ones for my granddaughter to use when she came over, but sadly I just tossed those last year. I had been using them as a faux flower arrangement in my kitchen window & the sun was fading the plastic.

I love the idea of the bubble wands. KimW. I had some pretty long ones for my granddaughter to use when she came over, but sadly I just tossed those last year. I had been using them as a faux flower arrangement in my kitchen window & the sun was fading the plastic.
And this is why we never throw things away. 😂

Back in April there was a pull through challenge. It was the height of covid here and I wasn’t going to stores so I scoured the house looking for things I could use. I ended up dismantling my hair dryer diffuser and the basket I had in my dishwasher to hold small things. Here are the results. If you look up that challenge you will see all kinds of innovative ideas people came up with to use as a pull through.
10B5A0EE-D46A-486D-8A5B-998EA8F75C56.png
5861AEF8-FD4E-473D-B14C-325BC0412171.png

Back in April there was a pull through challenge. It was the height of covid here and I wasn’t going to stores so I scoured the house looking for things I could use. I ended up dismantling my hair dryer diffuser and the basket I had in my dishwasher to hold small things. Here are the results. If you look up that challenge you will see all kinds of innovative ideas people came up with to use as a pull through. View attachment 50638View attachment 50639
Well there is dedication for you lol. Dismantled your hair dryer for a soaping tool LMBO

I really like to try new techniques but sometimes the cost of the equipment is too high for me so I made a pull through disc from the lid of a big plastic jar with a soldering iron now making plans to transform the cover of a binder to a stencil for my loaf mold

Attachments

• 861CEE55-2408-4CE4-A2C8-B0955714CB3B.jpeg
    861CEE55-2408-4CE4-A2C8-B0955714CB3B.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 17
Back