Publix supermarket tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got about 3 lbs of unrendered fresh tallow/scraps from publix supermarket. I got about 3 cups of fat from it! Woot. But, the reason I am posting is I found out something interesting.

I was talking to the guy about saving the fat for me and he said another soap maker in the area also picks some up. I said something along the lines of "well, if we don't use it, it will just go to waste." He said "actually no, we send our fat/scraps to a rendering company. And I'm pretty sure they make soap out of it too."

Isn't that interesting? Well, I found it interesting. I guess it makes me feel better about getting my beef from publix. I always was under the impression it got tossed.

Nothing from a butcher or supermarket butcher gets thrown out. We had a butcher shop and the fat and bones got picked up every few days to get rendered. There's nothing new about that - they have done it for years. You get paid a nominal amount for them to take it.

I guess I just kept hearing "it goes to waste" from everyone about lard/tallow so I assumed it got thrown away. I guess I should've thought otherwise as that doesn't make much sense. Thanks for letting me know that is typical practice.

I guess I just kept hearing "it goes to waste" from everyone about lard/tallow so I assumed it got thrown away. I guess I should've thought otherwise as that doesn't make much sense. Thanks for letting me know that is typical practice.

If someone was not rendering it for other(non-food) use, it would otherwise go to waste, yes? The animal is not raised and killed for the purpose of producing fat for non-food uses, though. So it is still a by-product.

I agree 100% Susie. I just didn't realize it was common practice to send it to be rendered to make soap. But how else would we have tallow in so many commercial soaps otherwise.

Lol don't believe all what you read Galaxymlp, ppl will say all kinds of things these days, but it's true animal fat was never a landfill problem as you now know.

Ooh such you are ok with using animal products and with tallow, render it, mix it with another carrier oil, and use it as a facial cream...one of the best things you could do for your skin!
Vintage traditions has an excellent tutorial on their website!

Latest posts

Back