PU

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
unmolded my GM soap--quickest soap I have ever had--4 hours and it was ready. I used Neroli and sweet orange EOs. my gawd its the stinkiest soap--smells just like a perm solution. I do really like the color of it though but...…..there are these spots on the outside edges, they are smooth
20190416_161153.jpg
. I mixed the scent in with the SB so I know it isn't that and I am pretty sure I got the milk mixed in pretty good before it accelerated. I have never made GM soap before so I have no clue as to if it smells in the beginning or not

The smell will or should go away, and it can really smell like ammonia at first. Is this a cut soap or right from the mold? Some areas look like overheating since I can see some little cracks in some of the spots and one on the upper edge.

Yep, the smell will go away with cure. The spots are really strange though. I've never seen anything quite like that before. No idea on that. Does look like partial gel so maybe some weird overheating?

the pictures are from the sides and bottom (any place the mold touched), the top never got them. in real life it doesn't look like a partial gel but I agree that the pictures show it, I thought the little cuts were maybe just air bubbles-I did try to poke the bubbles and they are solid? I know this soap did start to crack on the top a bit. can soap overheat and still have a partial gel--that seems weird to me but I haven't been doing this long enough to have seen every thing. this is just a 2.5 ounce mold and I didn't cover it at all and checked the heat on it a lot--watching to see if it needed to be thrown in the freezer and the outside of the loaf got into the 120's so I was thinking that was hot enough to gel but maybe not

Yes, when I first started I actually had partial gel and overheating. It heats from the center so the center got really hot and I uncovered it to stop the crack hoping it wouldn't volcano and put a fan on it. Soap does weird things sometimes.

mine was in the freezer when it started cracking--can only imagine what it would have done on the counter. I threw it in the freezer as soon as it was in the mold. and the partial gel is more obvious to my naked eye this morning. I ran out of one of my oils yesterday, so its off to the store today and will try again with the remaining milk. I soaped at 100 degrees so will try to take it down to high 80s and see if it goes better. I really love the color of the soap and if it works out I might try throwing some orange into some and doing a swirl--wish me luck--I think I am going to need it :)

There's another thread with silicon rash, that looks like rash... Maybe silicon boils? Haha @Marilyn Norgart I'm terribly sorry, I hope I don't offend you but that's what I initially thought >_<

don't know what that is so its hard to be offended--let me go look it up and get back to you on whether I am offended or not hahahahahaha--so it isn't a thing and you were talking regular boils YOU TURKEY hahaha

They won't grow anything. And if you have a soap planer, you just shave off the rough sides. Easy Peasy.

everything I have read on silicone rash says it is pocky or rough--these spots on my soap are very smooth, there are a few little cuts in some of them but from what I have seen it just doesn't look like rash

did a zap test on the spots and no zap, so I tried the small end piece WOW I thought my aloe vera juice soap lathered up great...….

Silicone rash is when you get roundish indentions in the soap on bottom and sides, never on the top. The inside of the indention is smooth. The side of the soap is smooth except where the indentions are.

Silicone rash is when you get roundish indentions in the soap on bottom and sides, never on the top. The inside of the indention is smooth. The side of the soap is smooth except where the indentions are.

then it cant be silicone rash cuz it is just smooth--they aren't indentations at all just smooth spots

unmolded my GM soap--quickest soap I have ever had--4 hours and it was ready. I used Neroli and sweet orange EOs. my gawd its the stinkiest soap--smells just like a perm solution. I do really like the color of it though but...…..there are these spots on the outside edges, they are smoothView attachment 38406 . I mixed the scent in with the SB so I know it isn't that and I am pretty sure I got the milk mixed in pretty good before it accelerated. I have never made GM soap before so I have no clue as to if it smells in the beginning or not

Anytime I add milks the soap initially smells of ammonia, but it goes away completely.

GM...I don’t generally use it in soap because of all the fuss with having to keep the temps down in the lye mixture and the mold, and while some of you guys report great success with keeping it white, mine always turns somewhere between cream and tan...not ugly unless it partial gels, but not my cup of tea. I actually have a can I need to buck up and use. Somehow it feels like cheating, but do y’all think less than 100% GM in your GM soap is still GM soap?

I’ve been using coconut milk in almost everything I pour lately—hoping to create better lather. I haven’t had a chance to use much of it, but it makes very creamy LOOKING soap—No issues with partial gel, and I haven’t chilled it or done anything special in the process. I’m using CM to make up the additional liquid above my master batch lye water, so that ends up being about 35% of the total liquid. Do y’all think that’s enough to make a difference in the soap?

Back