PSA: New Soaper's Choice shipping prices

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catastrophe

Reaction score
Back in November/December I made a spreadsheet to price out various things between different suppliers, and when I fiddling around on Soaper's Choice's new website, I noticed shipping seemed high. I finally had time to compare today and their shipping has more than doubled for everything I would have ordered. Bulk Apothecary is now cheaper for most base oils (for me) than SC.

Anyway, just wanted to urge everyone to shop around if you usually use SC, because your COGS is probably going to go up a good bit with the new shipping prices.

I was wondering if it was just me. I kept looking at those numbers and looking at them. I have never ordered from SC, but that shipping seemed off.

Like I said in a previous post I spoke to Mike today from SC and he says that the UPS rates have gone up and that happened a few months ago. They have been absorbing those costs for a while. My shipping did not go up much from the usual , about 35 cents on a 7 lb bottle of SAO. Not earth shattering. But some others ip codes may vary.

Like I said in a previous post I spoke to Mike today from SC and he says that the UPS rates have gone up and that happened a few months ago. They have been absorbing those costs for a while. My shipping did not go up much from the usual , about 35 cents on a 7 lb bottle of SAO. Not earth shattering. But some others ip codes may vary.

My shipping on a 7lb order in December was $7.51. Today it is $19.42. I am approximately 800 miles from them. If you're in Miami, that's about 1400 miles from them, so I don't understand why mine would almost triple and yours only go up a few cents.

My shipping on a 7lb order in December was $7.51. Today it is $19.42. I am approximately 800 miles from them. If you're in Miami, that's about 1400 miles from them, so I don't understand why mine would almost triple and yours only go up a few cents.

Mine was $8.65 on this Sweet Almond oil 7 lbs from 2 days ago.

1 91007SC ALMOND SWEET Plastic Bottle (7LB) Product's page $23.31 0 0 1 $23.31
RE-ORDER
Sub-Total: $23.31
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $8.65
Payment method additional fee: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $31.96

And this Apricot Kernel oil same - $8.67 shipping

1 91307SC APRICOT KERNEL OIL Plastic Bottle (7LB) Product's page $28.98 0 0 1 $28.98
RE-ORDER
Sub-Total: $28.98
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $8.67
Payment method additional fee: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $37.65

Last edited:
I am seeing the same thing. The last time I ordered 4 gallons of various oils and my shipping to north Louisiana was about $17. Now the charge for 2 gallons is over $20 estimated. I can't get to actual checkout to verify there are not more options for shipping. I really hope this is just a glitch in the new webpage.

Catastrophe, could you have accidentally chosen one of the more expensive delivery options?

Mine is almost that same as it was the last time I made an order, hardly any change to speak of. But I am in the same state.

PS. If I change from 4 bottles to 5 bottles (7-lb bottles each), the total shipping only goes up less than $1.00.

Last edited:
Well, I suspect either a) they are still working on the site, or b) they saw this thread or some of my comments in a FB group (Mike is in one I commented about this in). I went to check to see if I even had any delivery options, and I can only get Ground or pickup on the estimator. BUT...that 7lb shipment is down to $12.94. I was trying to check a 50lb shipment and the site went down. I'll try again in a few minutes.

I am surprised they would go live with a website that still has so many bugs and hiccups. Having created a few websites myself, it's possible to create and test a new website in "stealth mode" while still having the old one available to customers. I would have taken this tack with the SC update -- the number of problems cropping up are not helping their customers keep a warm fuzzy feeling about their business.

In looking at the new website, I think it's unfortunate that they've entirely given up on the shopping list style of ordering AND that they require a login before one can see prices.

One big problem with their new requirement to create an account is that the notice is ONLY on their home page. Does every potential customer enter their site via the home page? I kind of doubt it. So if someone doesn't see the home page first, they won't know why they can't see prices and why they can't order. I guarantee this is not a way to attract new customers.

If they absolutely want people to create an account, make that a requirement at checkout, not just to visit the website! But if they're determined to force casual visitors to register before seeing prices, I'd have the notice plastered on every product overview and product detail page so non-registered people KNOW the score rather than blunder about and get annoyed.

And the loss of the shopping list is a disappointment. On the old website, I could see the entire list of products and their prices and enter my order all in one go. Now I have to view an overview list, go to each individual product, and place my order for that one product. I understand this method is more educational and more typical of most e-commerce sites, but it has some annoying limitations for those who know what they want and just want to get 'er done.

It's possible to set up ordering on a product overview page as well as on a product detail page, and I wish they'd do that. That way the folks who want more info can get it and the ones who want to just place an order can get that done quickly. I'd happily give up on the rather repetitive pictures of nuts and seeds to get better efficiency.

Edit: And why, oh, WHY do they need my gender and my birthdate to create an account??? For this kind of commerce, this kind of personal info is utterly unnecessary. These should be optional fields, not mandatory. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. edit: Actually these fields are optional ... but they don't say that up front right on the form, as they should.

Another edit: Sent an edited version of this to [email protected]

Last edited:
I only order a couple of products from SC and never order more than gallons. I noticed shipping to me for a gallon went up $1.64, to So Cal. If they doubled shipping I would call them before putting in an order, especially with this being a new website with possible bugs

Last edited:
I just placed an order yesterday for several things and shipping was only a buck or so more than usual. Less than a lot of other companies I order from for sure with smaller weighted items.

I am surprised they would go live with a website that still has so many bugs and hiccups. Having created a few websites myself, it's possible to create and test a new website in "stealth mode" while still having the old one available to customers. I would have taken this tack with the SC update -- the number of problems cropping up are not helping their customers keep a warm fuzzy feeling about their business.

In looking at the new website, I think it's unfortunate that they've entirely given up on the shopping list style of ordering AND that they require a login before one can see prices.

One big problem with their new requirement to create an account is that the notice is ONLY on their home page. Does every potential customer enter their site via the home page? I kind of doubt it. So if someone doesn't see the home page first, they won't know why they can't see prices and why they can't order. I guarantee this is not a way to attract new customers.

If they absolutely want people to create an account, make that a requirement at checkout, not just to visit the website! But if they're determined to force casual visitors to register before seeing prices, I'd have the notice plastered on every product overview and product detail page so non-registered people KNOW the score rather than blunder about and get annoyed.

And the loss of the shopping list is a disappointment. On the old website, I could see the entire list of products and their prices and enter my order all in one go. Now I have to view an overview list, go to each individual product, and place my order for that one product. I understand this method is more educational and more typical of most e-commerce sites, but it has some annoying limitations for those who know what they want and just want to get 'er done.

It's possible to set up ordering on a product overview page as well as on a product detail page, and I wish they'd do that. That way the folks who want more info can get it and the ones who want to just place an order can get that done quickly. I'd happily give up on the rather repetitive pictures of nuts and seeds to get better efficiency.

Edit: And why, oh, WHY do they need my gender and my birthdate to create an account??? For this kind of commerce, this kind of personal info is utterly unnecessary. These should be optional fields, not mandatory. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. edit: Actually these fields are optional ... but they don't say that up front right on the form, as they should.

Another edit: Sent an edited version of this to [email protected]
I also hate not having a non picture list mode. This is what I hate about Cibaria, all the pictures and no non-picture quick list order page.

When our site was updated it was always run in stealth mode the buggies were gone.

Here's the lovely response I just received from Kelly G. She is the project manager for the Soaper's Choice website update.

"...I can’t thank you enough for your feedback – clearly our customer’s voice means the world to us....

"This is the first time that we have literally launched a new ecommerce site – the old one was made in house and as a small business owner with an ecommerce site as well, I am sure you understand the glitches and hardships you face at the time of launch. Our site is also connected to a brand new company-wide ERP System that launched the same day and there have been many unforeseen issues on the ERP side that has brought issues into the website.

"With that being said, I am really listening to what the customers are saying. We are in the middle of creating a one page product list with pricing for those that want to have an a quicker, more seamless experience.

"I am also doing away with the birthdate requirement and male/female fields. It is interesting what you find out about what people are comfortable with and not. I actually am only an online shopper for the past 15 years – I buy nothing at the store. Entering this information has never phased me and I did not think twice about it. However, it is clearly a bother to those that matter most to us so I am removing it.

"As far as having to register to see pricing and shop – I do get what you are saying and that has been up for discussion this entire week. I do not have an answer for that however I am inclined to hope that we will remove that requirement.

"Please keep the communication open and send me any information you believe to be crucial to make this a success for our Soaper’s family...."

Last edited:
This is good news. I was just getting ready to place a good sized order with them when I saw this thread. It's great when you can get an answer from someone that quick.

Kelly let me know about the product list (see IL's post above) and added they will be coding in the ability for people to order directly from that list. She didn't give a definite timeline for that, but it's super good news to know this functionality is definitely on their "to do" list.

For now, you can get a nice overview of their products and prices here: https://soaperschoice.com/product-list

Back