PSA for newbies: Never assume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the end of the world here, but I have just discovered a mistake in nearly every batch I've made.

I've operated under the assumption that my KOH lye has been 90% pure from my first recipe till the one I made last week. Well folks, it just ain't so! Crafter's Choice Potassium Hydroxide sold by Wholesale Supplies Plus is actually 86.5% pure. This means my superfat has been quite high for every single recipe. Thankfully it wasn't the other way.

I don't blame anyone beside myself for this oversight, however I can see it happening to others. In short, check your ingredients. The info was right there on their site, both in the QnA section and the SDS. Check the manufacturer information and SDS if provided. Check the SAP. Check your purity. Run your recipes through a lye calc yourself. Never assume.

Soap calc has 2 options, of 100% or 90% purity, SoapMakingFriend calc has the option to run a custom purity. This among other features is why I'm going to stick to SMF from now on. If you've got a recipe in mind, make a thread and run it by some more experienced soapers. I've avoided much trouble by doing that.

Latest posts

Back