protecting my soaps while on vacation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I am going on vacation next week and have about 75 bars of soap in basement in all different stages of curing. I would say 75% of them have been curing for 6 weeks. I only have about 15-20 bars that are 2-3 weeks cured. I usually empty out the dehumidifier everyday and can't have my MIL going up and down the steps to empty it while we are away. It doesnt get too crazy humid down there but enough that I have to empty the dehumidifier everyday. Anybody have any suggestions for what to do while on vacation. I was thinking of running a small fan pointed at my curing rack but hate leaving something electric on the whole time we are away. Thanks in advance for any idea.

Suggestion: Buy DampRid (or other brand) containers like this & put them out in your basement to collect water your dehumidifier won't be able to collect during your vacation. If you empty the dehumidifier daily, then put a few of them in the basement near the soap. If you tent the soap & put the desiccant containers inside the tent, it may be more efficient toward your goal of protecting the soap. I use them in several rooms in addition to our Central Air that doesn't quite do as good a job with humidity as I'd like.

I realize I'm late responding to this thread for the OP, but wanted to document what I did for my recent vacation. My dehumidifier is so old it doesn't have any type of humidity indicator, it just has a dial with a range of "dry to very dry", I typically run it on "very dry" and empty the bucket every day during summer months. It would be a long hose to run it to the floor drain, otherwise I would do that in a heartbeat. I was leaving for six days, so the day before I left I turned my dehumidifier down to about half of what it usually runs - so halfway between "dry" and "very dry" - and then checked it before we left to see if it was collecting too much water. Turning my dehumidifier down didn't really seem to affect my soaps at all - no one was sweating profusely (except me), and the bucket wasn't overfull when I came home. For a short stint I don't think that running a dehumidifier at less dryness, or even off, would hurt it unless you live in tropic like humidity - and even then I question if a week or so of that would really do any "damage" to your soaps. Maybe you have to cure an extra week or whatever to make up for it.

Back