Pros and cons with using different types of milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used coconut yogurt (it's bad enough I have coconut milk but I was supposed to try my hand at coco bread) but I would assume it would feel different. There's only one way to find out... šŸ˜

I doubt there is a lot of coconut in coconut yogurt, but I don't know for sure since I don't buy it myself.

I decided to compare labels because my husband chose some coconut yogurt (Skyr brand), so I compared it to my plain yogurt (Siggi brand, which I will eat - it won't be going into soap). Remember nutritional values vary depending on choices of yogurt (low fat, fat-free, etc.) but here is what I found comparing these two:

Both are the same size (150 grams) Both use the full container as a serving size, so the nutritional numbers are for the entire container (s), which is (are) over 5 ounces of yogurt (150 grams).
The plain Siggi yogurt has no fat (no saturated, no unsaturated & no trans fat.
The coconut Skyr yogurt has 3 grams of saturated, 1 gram of unsaturated & 0 trans fat.
The plain Siggi yogurt has 4 grams total of sugars with no ADDED sugars.
The coconut Skyr yogurt has 10 grams total sugars with 7 of those grams as ADDED sugars.

The way I add yogurt to soap is certainly not to add an entire container, but more along the lines of a Tablespoon or two at the most, so there would be NO APPRECIABLE superfat gain if I used the Skyr coconut yogurt.

Others may choose to add a lot more yogurt and may have different results depending on the source of the Coconut yogurt they were to use and it's particular fat content. But unless you make your own yogurt using high fat coconut milk, and use a lot of it, I really do think it is unlikely to make a noticeable difference to the Super Fat.

I listed the sugar content because that is another factor that would affect the soap.

But I probably shouldn't use the blueberry or strawberry ones! šŸ¤Ŗ

I don't see why not, unless they have bits of seeds. I prefer my flavored yogurt to be seedless and without bits of stuff that will stick in my teeth. But I have used blueberry yogurt in soap in the past when that's all I had on hand (no seeds) and it didn't make a noticeable difference from plain yogurt. But like I said, I don't use a whole lot of it when I do use it in soap.

WHEN I make milk soap, be it evap milk or half and half, I use one (1) quart of frozen milk with 4 lbs. of oils: palm coconut, lard, olive. Mixing it well...

I have some condensed coconut milk, it is 25% sugar; 75% coconut; would some of this be ok in CP soap? I use the liquid strained from my Greek yoghurt as a part-water replacement (frozen). Has anyone used condensed coconut?

I have some condensed coconut milk, it is 25% sugar; 75% coconut; would some of this be ok in CP soap? I use the liquid strained from my Greek yoghurt as a part-water replacement (frozen). Has anyone used condensed coconut?
Wow - I've never hearted of condensed coconut milk - but I'd totally use it. Just watch out for overheating with all that sugar.

I've used it. I stick blended it into my oils before adding the lye solution. I used about 5 ozs in a 70 oz oil batch. I had subtracted the 5 ozs from the liquid requirement for my lye solution.

As I have commented many times I am the odd man out and never found any great difference in soaps made with or without milk and I have tried almost all of them in my years of soapmaking and my hundreds if not thousands of bars. The only milk I would even come close to saying made any difference was Camel's milk which did seem to lend a bit more creaminess to the soap. I will admit the one milk I have not tried is donkey milk, I was going to but retired from selling before I got around to it. I know many will disagree with me and that is just fine with me, but I find the fatty acid profile in the formula seems to make the biggest difference in all my tweaking and experimenting over the years. It probably took me more years than most people to finally settle on my main go-to recipes that I still use today. Yes, I made milk soaps because they sold well, but that was the only reason, I did not go out of my way to make them for us, they do not tend to lather well and, I prefer to use less CO in my soaps so no milks. Milks cut lather.

Latest posts

Back