Pros and cons of using cheese cutters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm tired of wonky bars, especially when so many people are requesting soap for gifts...I may only be a hobbyist, but I want my bars to look like they were made by someone with experience.

I'm torn between a single bar "real" soap cutter (I think they'll hold the soap more stable for precise cutting, or saving lots of money and using a cheese cutter. From the YT videos I watched - the problem with cheese cutters seems to be the movement of the loaf during cutting.

I'd love to hear what your experiences are.

Gotta get a planer too. The ash is just out of control.

I used a cheese cutter for a little while, but the slipping of the loaf got annoying. I went from that to a multibar cutter, I knew I'd "need" it eventually anyway.

That being said, you still get pretty straight cuts, so it may be worth it to you

I was in the same boat - couldn't cut a straight bar even with a miter box. I also was dealing with a lot of ash and decided to get a planer. I ended up splurging and getting a cutter and planer from Plowboyz on etsy and have been very happy with them. I will say though, once I got a wood mold and my soaps usually gel I don't have much of a problem with ash. The weather is warmer here too, and that probably helps.

I used a cheese cutter that I bought off amazon for 1 year. I placed two pieces of wood on the cutter that prevented the loaf from slipping. It worked quite nicely.
However, once I started piping high tops on my bars, they were getting too tall and the cutter was leaving marks in the bottom corner of my soap.
I bought a single bar cutter off of etsy from buds woodshop and it works like a charm. it's adjustable so if I want to cut something a little bit differently than my usual I'm all set .
I would love to get the 18 bar cutter from nurture soap in purple, but I cannot justify spending that much money. Maybe one day though ;-)

My little wire cheese cutter has served me well for many years but needs to be retired soon for the reasons Krystalbee listed. I will probably end up with the single wire Bud cutter she purchased because I can't justify the cost of a multi-wire cutter just yet. I want something that will work for both loaf and slab molds plus all my tall, skinny molds and piped tops if I ever decide to go there. I would really like a nice planer/beveler too but haven't settled on which one best suits my needs.

Just started using a cheese cutter too! Soap definitely slides around, but what I found even more annoying is that the wire wouldn't go down all the way. So I would either have to pull the soap straight up, or use a knife to finish which would leave sort of a bigger bottom look...don't know if I'm explaining that well ha!

Now, I actually put the soap over the wire and slice it "up" rather than slicing down. Still have to hold it so it doesn't move around, but it gives me a much nicer, even cut.

I bought a plastic miter box at home depot for 5 bucks and use by metal bar cutter. Holds the loaf stable and steady and cuts cleanly

I duct taped a block of wood to the side of my cheese cutter to stop the soap moving around. Works like a charm and didnt cost me a thing as I had the wood leftover from another project and I swiped (I mean borrowed) the tape for the work toolbox. :D

Back