Propolis in hand and heel balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadgroovy

Reaction score
Anybody used/use's bee propolis in their hand/body/heel balms?
I'm looking to add to my range of soaps and body balms and have made a few batches of balm using bee propolis from a local bee keeper. It definitely adds a unique aroma to the balm! It also has a good reputation for it's antibacterial properties.

One of the strange things about it is, I grind it down to a powder, add to oil (sweet almond oil), heat to about 60 degrees C, leave to cool and settle, and the oil turns into a gel. Not that it causes a problem, I just add it to the melted oils.
I had to look that up. Apparently, propolis is mostly resin, oil and wax, which I did not know. I can imagine that when mixed with oil you could end up with something the consistency of a balm or salve.

This is a popular all-purpose skin cream that contains bee propolis I've been wanting to dupe since forever. Sourcing the ingredients is a problem. @DeadGroovy It's great that you have a beekeeper handy!

EGYPTIAN MAGIC CREAM
Ingredients: Olive oil (olea europaea oil), beeswax, honey, pollen, royal jelly and propolis extract.

Then I found this video which shows how to work with the ingredients. how to make propolis extract (easier to work with) and links to more info.

DIY Egyptian Magic dupe aka "Cleopatra's Secret" from Humblebee & Me

37g| 1.3oz chamomile infused olive oil (or plain olive oil)
10g | 0.35oz beeswax
5g | 0.17oz raw honey
1/2 tsp ground bee pollen
40 drops bee propolis tincture (or make your own)

Weigh the olive oil and beeswax into together in a small saucepan and melt together over low heat, reserving a teaspoon or two of the olive oil.

Whisk the honey in a small bowl, slowly blending in the pollen, propolis, and reserved olive oil. I found the extra moisture from the propolis tincture helped incorporate all the pollen. You’ll need to whisk very thoroughly to ensure the olive oil emulsifies into the honey.

Once the olive oil and beeswax have melted, remove them from the heat and let cool, stirring, until you have an opaque, creamy substance. Transfer the honey mixture to the pot and vigorously whisk everything together. The reason we have to let the oils cool before adding them to the honey is so we don’t cook the honey, destroying the enzymes.

When the mixture is thoroughly mixed and emulsified, pour it into a small 30mL/1oz tin and chill in the fridge (I found this helped with any potential separation).

Last edited:
This is a popular all-purpose skin cream that contains bee propolis I've been wanting to dupe since forever. Sourcing the ingredients is a problem. @DeadGroovy It's great that you have a beekeeper handy!

EGYPTIAN MAGIC CREAM
Ingredients: Olive oil (olea europaea oil), beeswax, honey, pollen, royal jelly and propolis extract.

Then I found this video which shows how to work with the ingredients. how to make propolis extract (easier to work with) and links to more info.

DIY Egyptian Magic dupe aka "Cleopatra's Secret" from Humblebee & Me

37g| 1.3oz chamomile infused olive oil (or plain olive oil)
10g | 0.35oz beeswax
5g | 0.17oz raw honey
1/2 tsp ground bee pollen
40 drops bee propolis tincture (or make your own)

Weigh the olive oil and beeswax into together in a small saucepan and melt together over low heat, reserving a teaspoon or two of the olive oil.

Whisk the honey in a small bowl, slowly blending in the pollen, propolis, and reserved olive oil. I found the extra moisture from the propolis tincture helped incorporate all the pollen. You’ll need to whisk very thoroughly to ensure the olive oil emulsifies into the honey.

Once the olive oil and beeswax have melted, remove them from the heat and let cool, stirring, until you have an opaque, creamy substance. Transfer the honey mixture to the pot and vigorously whisk everything together. The reason we have to let the oils cool before adding them to the honey is so we don’t cook the honey, destroying the enzymes.

When the mixture is thoroughly mixed and emulsified, pour it into a small 30mL/1oz tin and chill in the fridge (I found this helped with any potential separation).

Hi Zany in CO, yes I've seen this (Egyption Magic) since I've been researching propolis, it's expensive! Probably due to the Royal Jelly.
Made a couple of 200g batches, one with honey which I had to whip to emulsify the honey and one without the honey. the one without the honey seems to get the thumbs up from my guinea pigs (friends and family)

This is a great thread! I've been trying to recreate that, too - but, getting the honey to properly emulsify into it (or anything oil - based) has proven problematic. Making it happen initially, isn't, really - but, summer here is hot and humid, and trends to cause separation issues. I'm not a big fan of going back to the drawing board, every time it gets hot out, and keeping it in the fridge makes it too hard to user easily. I'm still looking for my happy medium.

This is a great thread! I've been trying to recreate that, too - but, getting the honey to properly emulsify into it (or anything oil - based) has proven problematic. Making it happen initially, isn't, really - but, summer here is hot and humid, and trends to cause separation issues. I'm not a big fan of going back to the drawing board, every time it gets hot out, and keeping it in the fridge makes it too hard to user easily. I'm still looking for my happy medium.
I whipped mine up with a hand blender, does a pretty good job of it and up to now, no separation problems. :)

Back