Products for the older generation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell lotion like mad to the older ladies and the more Lavender smelling, the better! And same with the lavender soap. It is my number one seller to a more mature crowd.
I second that. I made lotion for a wholesale customer for years. We did 3 fragrances: Lavender EO, Ginger Essence FO. and Fragrance Free. The Lavender consistently outsold the other two.

I think it might also depend on the ages of the 'seniors' there. I am technically a senior, being in my sixties, and I would use most things (well, not powder). I might buy a bath bomb or melt/bubble bar, but probably as a gift for my daughter/DIL. I don't take many baths. The 80 year olds I give to like the soap, but I don't think they would buy it - unless they already knew what handmade soap was like and found it to be worth the price. So I agree with Obsidian, smaller and less expensive soaps would sell better. They would maybe buy guest soaps though. They all like liquid soap - especially in the foamer bottles. I use a base for that as I'm not a LS maker - yet. My MIL likes lotion bars - but for travel. They might have some interest in lip balms, but I'd try to keep the price as close to what is available at Target, etc. None of them seemed to like body butter, scrubs, bath bombs - I'm not sure they even really understand the purpose of those products. My friends that are my age would be more likely to want some of those things.

Everyone likes cream/lotion. Keep in mind, these 80-somethings are just my family members and a few others, so it isn't a good cross section. And they are all pretty thrifty.

I will add, though, that my husband's aunt takes a bath every day (she prefers it to a shower) and does like those bath treats. Her husband draws her bath for her - which is so sweet. So there are some out there that would enjoy the bombs, etc.

I would add that seniors may also remember making soap and how “awful” it was. Our daughter’s fiancée still remembers his grandmother’s soap and is fearful of hand-made soaps because hers was not good.. He is coming along however. What I am saying in that, often, seniors do not value/view hand-made soap in the same light as others may. I would go with smaller bars for less $. Many seniors are also penny-pinchers for one reason or another. I would have small sample bars (advertising expense) and use this as more of an advertising opportunity than sales venue. Since I retired I am as cheap as I can be-a departure from my pre-retirement self. This happens. I value things differently. I would buy soap but is would be price-driven.

That being said, a terrific personality can always win the day! We do quite well at shows because we like people, like to teach, like to “entertain.” It always brings sales.

Old folks are "old school" for the most part, and like what was around when they were young, or younger...tho my mom did love to have a small bath bomb in her foot soak..she couldnt get in a bathtub, shower only but she did soak her feet before seeing her podiatrist. BUT--she had no clue what a bath bomb was, exactly, so it was my coaxing her to try it that had her using in the first place. Overall I dont know if the older set would try them without being introduced.
You can “introduce them” at a show, especially if you are in a facility. Ask the “show-runner” to make an announcement that at xx o’clock there will be a demonstration. Engage a suitable “assistant” by giving him/her a freebie and do a demo! Would be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add that seniors may also remember making soap and how “awful” it was. Our daughter’s fiancée still remembers his grandmother’s soap and is fearful of hand-made soaps because hers was not good.. He is coming along however. What I am saying in that, often, seniors do not value/view hand-made soap in the same light as others may. I would go with smaller bars for less $. Many seniors are also penny-pinchers for one reason or another. I would have small sample bars (advertising expense) and use this as more of an advertising opportunity than sales venue. Since I retired I am as cheap as I can be-a departure from my pre-retirement self. This happens. I value things differently. I would buy soap but is would be price-driven.

That being said, a terrific personality can always win the day! We do quite well at shows because we like people, like to teach, like to “entertain.” It always brings sales.
I think you're generalizing somewhat. My mother, who is in her late 80's, used to make soap, as did some of her contemporaries. She loves my soap (and uses it, doesn't use it as decor), as do all of the friends she shares it with. I do agree that as people retire, disposable income levels generally drop so price does become an issue. Smaller bars would make it more affordable.

I wouldn't go the sample route in a seniors market, or any market really; you'll be left with no samples and not as many sales. I will be making samples but they will go to prospective wholesale clients, and rarely to market customers (I'm thinking of people who may want to know how their skin might react to a specific soap before they commit to a large bar.. i.e. charcoal soap or castile soap).

Ok, the show is over and other than the fact that it was a learning experience; aka wrapping, labeling, displaying, etc., it was not profitable at all.
No interest in soap - not as a gift, and not as a curiosity. Most used the wheeled walkers to get around and they wheeled right on by. They were interested in the hats - which were not handmade, the cheap chocolates (melted chocolate bark that's half palm oil instead of cocoa butter), and the preserves/spices/pickled stuff.

It was a pleasant facility and I enjoyed the staff and residents. Wouldn't mind working there myself!

Honestly I think craft fairs like this are basically a way for the facility to have a free/low cost event for the residents. Depending on the level of care they are getting, they may not even have much cash in their pockets, credit cards, etc.

You never know. Some of these folks may mention you to their children and they may look you up. In any case, you did a good thing and that is never a waste of time.

I think you're generalizing somewhat. My mother, who is in her late 80's, used to make soap, as did some of her contemporaries. She loves my soap (and uses it, doesn't use it as decor), as do all of the friends she shares it with. I do agree that as people retire, disposable income levels generally drop so price does become an issue. Smaller bars would make it more affordable.

I wouldn't go the sample route in a seniors market, or any market really; you'll be left with no samples and not as many sales. I will be making samples but they will go to prospective wholesale clients, and rarely to market customers (I'm thinking of people who may want to know how their skin might react to a specific soap before they commit to a large bar.. i.e. charcoal soap or castile soap).
Ah, but she loves your soap because you make it and she knows you. I would definitely go with smaller bars if I had enough advance “warning” but we don’t always.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't sell at any senior center but my craft fairs do have quite a few older people. I sell soap and most older women like about the same as the younger except for maybe a bit more floral. What is more noticeable is that I do sell soap packaged for a gift. They purchase for children and grandchildren but also for hostess and thank you gifts. I wrap in a cello bag with bow but I think what is important is it should be a finished look with the shopper not having to do anything more than just give the gift. Consider a display of wrapped gifts or a sample.

Latest posts

Back