Product photography will be the death of me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The key changes I make for phone photography are: turn off the flash, made the focus pinpoint (so you can be very fussy about where the focal point is), use either portrait or macro mode (this will take care of the f-stop, ISO speed and shutter speed for you) and use a tripod.

I can't emphasize enough what a difference using a tripod will make to your photo taking.

Practicing where the focal point is will help get your eye in. Once you have that, you can start looking at composition and you will find your desire to highlight a certain feature will lead you to naturally learn about lighting (use a bedside light or two, and a surface near a bright window, to practice).

Composition sometimes means leaving a space for text in your photo's, so watch for blank spaces - in product photo's they aren't always a bad thing :)

(Lump of coal soaps, phone photography)
IMG_2603.jpg Coal Christmas.jpg

These are good tips, keep them coming

We may have found a suitable place to move - its so hard having livestock and renting in a city. Also being on a short time frame right before christmas!

Now we wait to hear if our application was successful. I hope so - it even has a little old granny flat that we could spruce up a bit and turn into a soap studio

Back