Problems with itching/irritation in Bath Powder... what could it be?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly Boggess

Reaction score
Hello all!

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for the wealth of information on this forum! I wouldn't have been able to get to where I am now without all of your tips and tricks.

I've been messing around and creating my own batches of an all natural fizzing "bath powder", basically a variation on a bath bomb recipe minus the molding and plus a few added variants to spice things up.

I've created three pretty solid recipes so far, one is a riff on the classic milk and honey, another is more of a seaweed detox, and the third is a rose scented pink clay bath.

For fun, I've been giving this stuff out to those of friends and family who are into bathing. The seaweed and rose have had good reviews mostly without a hitch, but I've heard from more than one person that the milk and honey formula is giving some people skin irritation once they get out of the bath. It has me scratching my head a bit since technically it should be the most "skin soothing" of the three, so I'd love to get some feedback from some of the more knowledgeable folks here on what ingredients could be irritating people!

Here is a list of my ingredients. Ill put first the ingredients that are not shared with the other two "non irritating" baths, then the common ingredients at the bottom. I'm also pretty loosey goosey with my ingredient amounts and am currently using just cups and tablespoons/teaspoons to measure instead of grams. I'm wondering if my non-scientific ratio for these ingredients could be part of the issue as well, so feel free to constructively criticize away!!

milk and honey only:
1/2 c coconut milk powder (the wholesale supplies plus version)
1/4 c Honey Powder (the From Nature With Love version)
2 tbsp colloidal oatmeal
Small amounts Essential Oils Blend: Neroli, Bergamot, Vanilla CO2, Coconut Pulp CO2, Tonka Bean)
EOs are diluted with Jojoba oil

Common ingredients
1/2 C Baking Soda
1/4 c Citric Acid
1/3 c SLSA
1/2 c Coconut Oil Powder (this is a supplement I found on amazon mostly used for bodybuilders to add to their shakes but works really well to add coconut oil without having to deal with drying it out)
up to 1 cup Oil locking powder ( I add this to my liquids until it forms a powdery dry texture)
1 tbsp glycerin
1/2 tbsp poly 80

small amounts of:
silk peptides
bamboo powder
allantoin powder
(these three are for a skin softening emollient feeling that I put in each powder)

Thank you all so so much in advance!

I see honey & coconut are processed and powdered from their original form, any additions during these manufacturing process may be the culprit.

Latest posts

Back