Problems with CP soap with Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I had a night of discovery. First I tried my first cosmic swirl using a thin batter, which although not beautiful was a good learning experience. But then the problems started. I had to wait an hour to put in the embeds because they were sinking. I have used lard before, but decided to put the batch in the freezer rather than CPOP or wrap because I was afraid the MP Embeds would melt or sink. Three hours later I checked on the soap in the freezer and noticed it was getting bubbly on the surface so I took it out of the freezer and set it on the counter. I got up this morning and the soap was soft again and I am seeing evidence of possible separation. So I am wondering if 1 I had a false trace or 2 it separated due to putting it in the freezer. I haven't done that with a lard soap before. Has anyone one had this experience before?

I was watching youtube and saw that lard has a tendency to false trace but I was soaping around 90 degrees F. It appeared to be at a light trace when I started working with it and I blended it more as I was mixing colors etc.

I am going to let it set the rest of the day and see if it solidifies... Any comments?

I'm thinking you had false trace and it separated. I make mostly Lard so and have never had that happen just from putting it in the fridge/freezer. I mostly gel all my soaps. That or perhaps a miss measurement?

I use lard also and have never had a false trace from that or from putting in the freezer. my problems with these things all seemed to come from my FOs I used

I'm thinking you had false trace and it separated. I make mostly Lard so and have never had that happen just from putting it in the fridge/freezer. I mostly gel all my soaps. That or perhaps a miss measurement?
That was my main concern, that is was the time in the freezer, I didn't want to make that mistake again if that was the case. I liked working with this recipe. I did another batch in a different design right after it and it behaves very well as far as pouring. I need to check it, but I used Sodium Lactate in it. I usually gel my soaps too, but didn't this time. This soap was only 1/2 inch thick because I was doing guest soaps. There was such a gap between the soap and the top of the mold, i wasn't sure if it would gel in this container.

I am going to just keep an eye on it. I don't have floating oils or anything. It just doesn't look quite right and it is taking so long to set. I am guessing it won't solidify. But I am going to be busy today, and it has only been 12 hours, so we'll see.

I think my measurements were ok. I did mismeasure something right off and caught it. I think I was leaning my OO bottle on the measuring container. I was very careful after that. Well I am pretty sure now it was false trace. I can see the stuff I poured later looks better (probably due to more mixing) and the stuff under it is getting uglier.... Can I just rebatch this then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, don't answer that rebatch. I don't have total faith that I didn't do something else wrong. I think I will just toss and make another batch... Shoot!

Quick question. I was thinking about it and decided it was less of a loss for me if I at least tried to rebatch this soap. Do you think I need to put more liquid in it? It is still pretty fluid. Like a medium to thick trace. Not lumpy at all... I am almost tempted to put some additional color in it and use the mixer to blend it again. Possibly just heat is to get those few lumps that went to trace. Could that work?

Quick question. I was thinking about it and decided it was less of a loss for me if I at least tried to rebatch this soap. Do you think I need to put more liquid in it? It is still pretty fluid. Like a medium to thick trace. Not lumpy at all... I am almost tempted to put some additional color in it and use the mixer to blend it again. Possibly just heat is to get those few lumps that went to trace. Could that work?

I would try that. Best to use as little liquid as possible. Also, be very careful since there could be lye still in the batter! Doubt it, but better safe than sorry.

Yes you can, if you have a slow cooker just put it in the cooker without water, and proceed as you will do with HP soap. I rebatch a few like this and the result is wonderful, beautiful and smooth soap. Don't forget to test your soap when it's done, with phenolphtalein or with the tool most of the soapers use... your tong.

Good luck!

Well I reheated and stirred the heck out that batch. I hope it will work out. I had a terrible day soaping yesterday. I made two batches of soap from the same recipe and I had problems with both batches. (ran it through soap calc before) My second batch (so pretty when I cut it) ended up with some kind of crystals and brittleness at the lower edge of the one layer with TD in it after it gelled. I had two teaspoons of TD in this color, probably 2 lbs of soap) and a little bit of blue mica colorant for a light tint in that layer. All the other layers were beautiful. The bad layer was the last color I did, bottom of the bowl.

What's funny is both are issues I have never had before. I hadn't soaped since January. Maybe the soaping gods were just yanking my chain. I hope they are done!
cropped blooper.jpg

That looks like ash formation to me on my monitor. Have you tried washing it off with plain water, or spritzing with alcohol? If it comes off with water or alcohol, it's just ash.
If you are talking about on the Top top of the soap that is just glitter without light on it. This was inside the soap right after I cut it. Actually I looked at it a little closer and the crystals were in the purple layer. I am now hoping it was the sparkle me blue MM glitter I put in it that maybe didn't get stirred in well. I did not stir the purple until the very last... May get out my ph paper and try the tongue test in the morning.

If you are talking about on the Top top of the soap that is just glitter without light on it. This was inside the soap right after I cut it. Actually I looked at it a little closer and the crystals were in the purple layer. I am now hoping it was the sparkle me blue MM glitter I put in it that maybe didn't get stirred in well. I did not stir the purple until the very last... May get out my ph paper and try the tongue test in the morning.
I wouldn't bother testing it with Ph paper. It's not accurate for soap. I would zap test it personally. It sounds like you had some mixing issues perhaps in both batches.

I wouldn't bother testing it with Ph paper. It's not accurate for soap. I would zap test it personally. It sounds like you had some mixing issues perhaps in both batches.
Yes, I would say that too. I am pleased to say, my rebatch of the failed cosmic swirl has hardened. It was a false trace. Not crazy about the color, (I had to cover a blend of white, turquoise and orange), and my scent is citrus and the soap is now blue green.

I guess, it doesn't pay to take a hiatus and come back feeling like you are a soap pro. Your soap will always put you back in your place. ;)

The tongue never lies

I just had a wonderful experience where I had to facepalm myself.
As a habit I add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar to every batch.
So what did dufus do.
Added Sugar to beer soap.
Bam - instant trace - great big ball of soap i had to shove into the mould. Guh!!

gotta be on point all the time

Latest posts

Back