Problems unmoulding soy melts

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dillsandwitch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2014
Messages
539
Reaction score
318
Location
Maitland, NSW, AUSTRALIA
So I have recently gotten into making soy melts. Man they are so fun and easy to make. And my house smells even better than it normally does. :D

Anyhoo the issue I'm having is when unmoulding the melts from my moulds the corners are sticking and breaking off. Moulds are these: http://www.siliconemoulds.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=19244305

Ive tried leaving them in the moulds for a couple of days and even tried putting them in the freezer and I still get the corners breaking off. I'm using ecosoya pillar blend soy wax, liquid candle dye and FO. Any tips to getting them out in one go with undamaged edges would be great as I may decide to give some away as Christmas gifts.

TIA
Dill
 

LilyJo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2016
Messages
570
Reaction score
475
Location
Hampshire, UK
To be honest if you are using a silicone mould it shouldnt really break off- you are you Pillar Blend soy right?

Have you tried making a sample without any die - depending how much is added it can affect the wax. I always have problems with certain die blocks, no matter what I do there are some colours that leave the wax looking, well, odd!

When I make using a complicated mould I tend to leave it 12-24 hours which helps to stop bits breaking off and then I kind of gently pull the sides of the mould away from the wax to ease the edges before I turn it out.

Not sure entirely sure if that helps or not!
 

Hazel

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
12,667
Reaction score
1,767
Location
Ohio
You could buy some mold release spray, spritz onto a q-tip and then lightly coat the corners. I think any silicone type of product would work as a release. I've used carrier oil to dab into molds that have an intricate design to make items easier to get out (because I'm too cheap to buy commercially made mold release). I've used olive and sunflower and both work very well.

edit: I forgot to ask if it's a new mold. If it is, it should loosen a bit as you use it.
 

dillsandwitch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2014
Messages
539
Reaction score
318
Location
Maitland, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Yes it is a new mould. I think a release spray mightbe the way to go. Ive had issues with both dyed and undyed wax sticking in the corners. I'll post a pic of where its been breaking off when i get home from qork today
 

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Messages
11,811
Reaction score
4,011
Try using dye blocks instead of liquid dye.
 
Top