• July 15, 2020 USA date. 1am EST to approx 3am EST Server will be off line for maintenance.

Problem with mold sizing

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a link that explained it to me! L X W X H then multiply your total by .4

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/calculate-amount-of-soap-for-mold-517198
I know how to do that part of it. What I'd like is a formula that actually takes into account the altered water amounts of various lye concentrations. This formula does not take that into account, and there are times it shorts my total batch size so much that my molds are not at all filled. But with lower lye concentration I can end up with more batter than will fit into a mold.

Lankan

Reaction score
I've made a excel model which would allow me to resize my recipe to fit the multiple molds that I have.

Attachments

Last edited:

amd

Reaction score
Deleted as the previous user has gone away.

Last edited:

SeattleMartin

Reaction score

Lankan

Reaction score
Tested on a recipie of 70% palmoilen, 20% Coconut, 5% Castor & 5% Sheabutter with no super fat or fragnance. lye and water at the ratio of 1:2.

I gave a mold size of 1,000ml (10cm x 10cm x 10cm) it resized my batch to 1,007g of which 692g is oils, 206.5g water and 103.25g of NaOH. Which means the weight to volume conversion difference of less than 1%.

May I know the weight to volume conversion ratios (especially the increase in volume of lye solution when dissolved in water, in this case at a ratio of 1::2) used in deriving the result of 1,007g.

Reaction score
Tested on a recipie of 70% palmoilen, 20% Coconut, 5% Castor & 5% Sheabutter with no super fat or fragnance. lye and water at the ratio of 1:2.

I gave a mold size of 1,000ml (10cm x 10cm x 10cm) it resized my batch to 1,007g of which 692g is oils, 206.5g water and 103.25g of NaOH. Which means the weight to volume conversion difference of less than 1%.

May I know the weight to volume conversion ratios (especially the increase in volume of lye solution when dissolved in water, in this case at a ratio of 1::2) used in deriving the result of 1,007g.
we are not doing weight to volume conversion here .. we use a well know approximate formula.
the formula assumes that
Amount of Oils in Grams = Mold Volume in ml * ( 0.65 or 0.75 ) .. we use a typical value here 0.69 .. this formula is tested and known to give accurate results
the idea we don't make volume to weight conversion based on ingredients density ( Specific gravity ) ..that the total volume of soap recipe after chemical reaction is not equal to the sum of volumes of its ingredients .
at some point when we have enough accurate data of soap recipes and their final density .. we can use the data to learn an artificial neural network to expect the final recipe density based on ingredients and their amounts ( Artificial intelligence ) .. until we get this point .. I think the current formula works well.

Thank you!

Lankan

Reaction score
we are not doing weight to volume conversion here .. we use a well know approximate formula.
the formula assumes that
Amount of Oils in Grams = Mold Volume in ml * ( 0.65 or 0.75 ) .. we use a typical value here 0.69 .. this formula is tested and known to give accurate results
the idea we don't make volume to weight conversion based on ingredients density ( Specific gravity ) ..that the total volume of soap recipe after chemical reaction is not equal to the sum of volumes of its ingredients .
at some point when we have enough accurate data of soap recipes and their final density .. we can use the data to learn an artificial neural network to expect the final recipe density based on ingredients and their amounts ( Artificial intelligence ) .. until we get this point .. I think the current formula works well.

Thank you!
Thanks. Point taken. density of the final product is not equal to w.a of densities of the ingredients, hence volume may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts