Probably stupid question about sterilizing Mason Jars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikvahnrose

Reaction score
Do you need to sterilize mason jars to put dry material in it like sugar or botanicals?

Or would simply wiping it with alcohol be sufficient

I have no idea.

But because I don't know how the jars are manufactured - therefore how clean they really are in regards to bacteria, mold, dust, debris, I at least wash them out with hot soapy water before any kind of food use.

After all, even in vegetable packing plants they can't keep things perfectly pure and there is a limited but allowable amount of bugs allowed in the finished product.

I use mason jars in canning and have taken food safety courses. (Because yeah, I'm detailed like that.)

According to those, running the jars through the dishwasher sterilizes them. Or you can put the jars on a cookie sheet and in your oven on something like 210 degrees F, maybe? for about 10 minutes. (Double-check the oven temp and time, though. I'm hopped up on a steroid shot and bouncing around like a hamster in a wheel so my fact recall may not be exact.) Either one of those processes will result in sterilized mason jars.

And since I'm sharing the uber-exciting stuff I learned in that class, I also learned that we are supposed to store our mason jars top down so that dust particles can't float into the jars like they would if the open mouth was raised. exciting, huh? lol

I use mason jars in canning and have taken food safety courses. (Because yeah, I'm detailed like that.)

According to those, running the jars through the dishwasher sterilizes them. Or you can put the jars on a cookie sheet and in your oven on something like 210 degrees F, maybe? for about 10 minutes. (Double-check the oven temp and time, though. I'm hopped up on a steroid shot and bouncing around like a hamster in a wheel so my fact recall may not be exact.) Either one of those processes will result in sterilized mason jars.

If you can, don't toss the box the jars come in. Just carefully cut the plastic around the side, and you can store empty jars in there with no dust accumulation.

And since I'm sharing the uber-exciting stuff I learned in that class, I also learned that we are supposed to store our mason jars top down so that dust particles can't float into the jars like they would if the open mouth was raised. exciting, huh? lol

They are sterile if you wash them in the dishwasher, or in the oven at 225F for 10 min. Just place your lids, rings, jars on a baking sheet and put them in there. Not that they need to be sterile for dry goods. Only if you have food you are canning. I store my beans, shaped pastas, and other foods in clean jars, not sterile ones, as they get opened and used often.

BeesKnees, you have my sympathy! They had me on steroids for almost a month to get rid of a persistent bronchitis. My poor hubby was SO VERY ready for me to get off those! Little to no sleep and hyper does not make a calm household! But this house was CLEAN!!!

Latest posts

Back