Probably a silly question (about packaging), but...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant!

So, I've got my first few batches of CP curing, and plans to make more. Once they're done, I'd like to post some out to friends and family. Local post is likely to take around 2-5 days, but international will take a few months, if it arrives at all.

When I'm packing them, should I be aiming to let them "breathe" or not? My thoughts are either to use cling wrap or tissue paper, then pop them in a box. I also have greaseproof paper and ziplock bags, if those might work?

Someone on Facebook suggested wax wraps - would those work? I've been meaning to make some, would be a nice present along with the soap if they'd stay useable afterwards. 🤔

I would avoid tissue paper unless it's the type that has a wax or plastic type coating -- the stuff that people use for baked goods. Regular tissue paper is fairly fragile and not very moisture resistant. I could see it sticking to the soap if there's even a hint of moisture. Also the dye in tissue paper will bleed easily.

Regular translucent waxed paper looks nice -- I've used that before.

Not sure what you mean by "waxed wraps" -- the squares of fabric with a wax coating used as an alternative to plastic food wrap? If so, even the plain fabric would work or the waxed fabric would be fine too.

As long as the soap is reasonably well cured, you can put it in an air tight container or plastic bag without problems. Not so much for a young soap that is still losing water at a high rate - it needs to breathe a bit.

I would avoid tissue paper unless it's the type that has a wax or plastic type coating -- the stuff that people use for baked goods. Regular tissue paper is fairly fragile and not very moisture resistant. I could see it sticking to the soap if there's even a hint of moisture. Also the dye in tissue paper will bleed easily.

Regular translucent waxed paper looks nice -- I've used that before.

Not sure what you mean by "waxed wraps" -- the squares of fabric with a wax coating used as an alternative to plastic food wrap? If so, even the plain fabric would work or the waxed fabric would be fine too.

As long as the soap is reasonably well cured, you can put it in an air tight container or plastic bag without problems. Not so much for a young soap that is still losing water at a high rate - it needs to breathe a bit.

Thank you, I'll wait until they're pretty dry before I post them, especially the ones going overseas.

I do indeed mean the fabric with a wax coating, glad to know they'd work.
I'll avoid regular tissue paper!

When I ship my soap out' I make my Pkg as pretty as possible' who doesn't like opening a beautiful gift. My soaps are all Shrink Wrapped, I use crinkle paper' Tissue Paper' a card w/ my special note' & the tissue paper its sealed w/ a pretty decal of some kind. Yes its probably over kill but a Artisan Hand Crafted Soap Is A Special Treat & The Packing Should Reflect That. Oh to answer your Q. My soap's are well cured so I can shrink wrap them before shipping them out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back