Privacy and Google Home device

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are similar, but the URLs are not obfuscated. Do a couple searches with Duck Duck Go and then a couple with StartPage. After that check your browser history to see the difference.

The URL is passed visibly to the search provider even using HTTPS so any “bad actor” can tell what you are searching for.

You know, this is all well and good but it reminds me of the old joke about surviving a bear attack by being able to run faster than your partner. Most bad actors will go after the easy targets first. At least I hope that's the way it is.

I used to feel that way. Being involved in a large government IT project has changed my way of thinking. People gather *everything* they can and post it in places for others to do bad with it. Unless you train yourself to do the small things to protect your privacy all the time, you can assume you have none any of the time.

It’s the aggregate of your online presence that’s most important. What I learn from you over time tells me a lot more than a single transaction.

What are the chances of something bad happening? Admittedly small. If you have ever purchased a lottery ticket in the hope that you would win, you’ve hoped *for* something that has a fraction of the chance that something bad happening with your online data has.

I mean don’t even get me talking about re-using passwords on multiple sites .... eesh! :)

And also remember that NO ONE needs your SS# but your JOB, Bank and Gov.
Any Dr. Office that asks tell them no (unless you have Medicare then your # is the ss#).

Anyone else, tell them no too. If they say you can't do it/Have it, then you Don't Need it.
I had to explain this to my DS and soon to my DD so theft doesn't happen to them

And also remember that NO ONE needs your SS# but your JOB, Bank and Gov.
Any Dr. Office that asks tell them no (unless you have Medicare then your # is the ss#).

Anyone else, tell them no too. If they say you can't do it/Have it, then you Don't Need it.
I had to explain this to my DS and soon to my DD so theft doesn't happen to them

I always ask them if there is another form of identification out of an abundance of caution.

I am so glad I am not the only person paranoid about all the "smart" devices. No Alexa, smart TV, etc. I only use things I can control their access to communication to the outside world. I just wish the TomTom and other GPS devices kept up with road changes and conditions as well as Google so I could avoid using that in the car. (Yes, I was recently forced into a smart phone against my wishes.)

I am waiting for some police department somewhere to be taken to court over their use of drones to see how the courts (preferably the Supreme Court of the US) view that invasion of privacy. And I am sure it is coming. I am a law abiding citizen, so I have nothing to hide. But this casual disregard for my privacy is becoming so pervasive that I am rankling under their stares.

Here's a tip for iPhone users:

You can be forced to unlock your phone with a fingerprint or face recognition since the courts have ruled that it is not you divulging anything the police could not already have. You cannot be forced to divulge your PIN/passcode. That being the case, you need to lock your phone without using fingerprints or face recognition. That's a little unfriendly, so if you choose to use fingerprints or face recognition and you are in a position where you wish your phone was locked instead: say "Hey Siri, who's phone is this?" She will dutifully respond indicating who's phone it is and lock the phone requiring the PIN/passcode again before face or fingerprints will work.

A case where voice recognition is actually handy.

On the SSN thing. True, a doctor's office doesn't technically need your SSN, but they are not obliged to provide you care either. They can ask for your SSN for billing purposes. You can choose not to provide it but they can choose not to have you as a client too.

Google Maps on the phone *is* awesome. Sometimes you do have to sacrifice privacy for functionality. It's the world we live in. I don't think we could go completely off-grid. I read an article by a real tin-foil hat wearing "privacy advocate" and he suggested riding a bike everywhere you go (since your car has a data recorder and your license plate is tracked) and wearing a hat with a brim + sunglasses to obfuscate your features from traffic cameras.

Anyway ... soap. Lots of soap. :)

My SSN# is not my medicare number. That was changed early this year.
I am old school and know where I am going ( in more ways than one) and don't need to be told to "turn here".

Maps should fold and fit in the jocky box in my world.
My phone is for my convenience. I will answer it if I am not busy.
When I still worked I had one that was a leash...

My SSN# is not my medicare number. That was changed early this year.
I am old school and know where I am going ( in more ways than one) and don't need to be told to "turn here".

Maps should fold and fit in the jocky box in my world.
My phone is for my convenience. I will answer it if I am not busy.
When I still worked I had one that was a leash...
My thoughts exactly!

Ok Lbussy - how can I encourage you to give us some more privacy lessons?

Back to the Google device; it's in a neighbor's house and I feel weirded out by it, but temporarily was intrigued by doing the "Siri" thing with it to see the responses. Fun to ask for Christmas music too except it always picks music too "modern" for me. I tend to prefer the baroque, and more religious themed tunes like real carols over "Santa Baby". (there's also my love of Trans Siberian Orchestra).

Quick fact: Google device is only supposed to listen after hearing "hey Google". But as we're discussing a work situation in her kitchen and she said the word "loud" in a sentence - Google spoke up and explained how to change the volume. :eek: Neighbor was startled! Well - so much for the Hey Google being the only trigger. What else does it do that they haven't 'fessed up to??

I'm done with my fascination. And I pick better Christmas music. :dance:

If I get going too much on privacy I'll never get any work done. :)

I saw TSO live a couple years back, awesome show. I would never have suspected. I'm not much of a holidays guy but I had a great time.

The thing with Google activating when you're just talking is just a byproduct of the limitations of technology. It listens all the time for the key words, but sometimes it "thinks" it hears them. The same happens with my very stupid old-school GPS in my truck. I'm supposed to say "voice command" and sometimes it even keys off the radio. Google does record what you say after that though. You can see what Google has recorded here:

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity?restrict=vaa

More broadly, go here and see everything they are saving:

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

I work with some very smart (and scary) Cybersecurity folks. We just had a conversation about using those free USB phone chargers in airports. Two words: "unprotected sex." Don't do it.

Latest posts

Back