Print your own labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
Does anyone print their own labels for soap? Ideally, I'd like to print straight onto card and use it as packaging around the soap. I can't use plastic, so shrink wrapping and sticking a label on are out of the question. I've had a logo designed and would like to play around with designing labels.

Is it easy enough to print your own and still look professional? I'd love to see some photos of your homemade labels for inspiration! :wave:

For my bars I print on card stock with an inkjet printer (the paper's too thick for a laser printer) and cut it with my Silhouette to make boxes. I also give people the option to buy with or without the box (without is a lower price) and they almost always choose the box and higher price--because of that, I like to think they're professional looking.

I do not print myself. I love the ease and professional quality of labels I design at the website VistaPrint!! They often have 50% off sales or 25% etc. Groupon frequently has deals for them, too. Labels are easy to design with their software & I am no whiz, trust me.

J

I use Microsoft Publisher to print my labels. But then I was told, by a forum member, that my labels are dark and unappealing so I guess I will not post a pic. My white labels have two small bands of black, does not make the label dark. Granted they do not print top quality, since I use the matt paper 2x4" Avery labels and not the glossy, but I sell at outdoor markets make 1000's of soaps per year and they take a beating. I have to repackage periodically, so it is to expensive to outsource especially when I do not make all soaps from the same recipe. I have started putting the labels on the soap itself and shrink wrapping over the label, so this should help cutting down on some repackaging. It just cuts to much into profit to use any packaging other than shrink wrap. If wholesaling I would outsource my labels and recipes would stay the same. We do outsource our lotion, scrubs, etc labels.

I print my own on seed paper using the online labels maestro thingy lol.

smallorder.jpg

Then have a look through this section - there are a lot of examples of home printed labels to explore. No need for another thread of 'show us your labels'

I didn't just want to see photos of other people's labels, it was more general advice from those who print labels at home - the replies have been very helpful. I trawl through this forum for hours every day, I'm not looking for shortcuts.

I think that sometimes your replies come off as a little abrupt and although I know that you are trying to be helpful (I've really appreciated your advice in other threads I've created), it can sometimes come off as a little rude. Replies like this almost put me off creating threads here. I know this topic has been covered and I've read the relevant threads using the search function, however a lot of the threads are outdated and it's nice to have some new, up-to-date replies from newer members who might not have been around to post in the older threads.

I print my own on seed paper using the online labels maestro thingy lol.

They look awesome! I guess I was just worried that by printing the labels myself, I'd lose a certain professionalism. But obviously not! I used to be a bit of a photoshop wiz, but I haven't done anything in years. Hopefully some of that knowledge will come in handy!

sozo, your labels are very pretty!

spenny, I'm another one who uses the Maestro program but I shrinkwrap and stick the label to the outside. I like cmzaha's idea of putting the label inside the bag before shrinkwrapping. Some of my labels got wet recently and the ink ran a little.

I also do the labels inside and wrap outer.. cleaner look I think and if you're doing a show you can just take the outer off and rewrap what you don't sell. :)

I don't sell, but I label all my stuff as if I were (I find it to be quite a fun creative outlet for me). Anyway, I have Publisher, WordArt, and Pixie on my computer, all of which give me all I need and more to be able to create all kinds of fun, as well as professional-looking labels. I use the blank, full-sheet labels by Avery on which to print them. Of course, that means I have to cut them out by hand, but it's not like I'm making hundreds of them at a time or anything. Oh- and I protect them from water and dirty hands with self-adhesive laminating sheets, also made by Avery.

IrishLass :)

That sounds great, but I'm choosing not to use shrink wrap which is a pain. I'm planning on eventually selling at my local farmer's market (it's tiny!) and the feedback I've had so far is "no plastic". We have a high population of hippies and the community is very environmentally friendly, grow-your-own, etc - which is great, but makes my job a little harder hah. I'd like to print on card and have it fold around the soap (not cigar band, but the other way... I don't know if that makes sense hah!) so that the majority of the soap will be covered with card.

-photo deleted-

I've been staring at these logos for hours, and they're all starting to look the same to me. I need some outsiders, objective opinions! Which one do you think is best? The differences aren't huge, which makes it so much harder for me. :shock:

I'm also having the writing rearranged so that "palm oil free" is on top, with "handmade soap" on bottom so that it reads better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back