Pringles can

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
Newbie has posted a video on using a funnel and garden pipe (here is the link:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=51057&page=28, post no. 1085).

The lady there uses a Pringles can without lining it first. I am confused because I thought that Pringles cans were lined with aluminium and that they had to be lined before use.

Has anybody else used Pringles can without lining them first?

I used a can and lined it but I didn't remove the bottom. I pooured the soap then had a panic as the bottom was aluminium foil. I took it outside but it never exploded ;)

I cut off a half inch next to the bottom and all seems fine. there didn't seem to be any signs of reaction but that may have been down to luck.

I'm not sure the inside is actual aluminum foil. I think I t might be nothing more than silver colored paper with a slick coating to give it shine. I can't see them spending money on aluminum interiors for a can of chips that cost the consumer a buck. Their end production cost can't realistically be more than a nickel a can, and that's being generous. I think I'll hit Google and see if it says what the interior lining is ...

I watched that and thought of all the chips I'd feel obligated to eat if I were to tear it away each time I used it as a mold. ;-) I want the fat in the soap, not my waistline, so I lined mine so I can reuse them.

Ditto to Mrs. Spaceship. :)

By the way, I got the crafter's choice cylinder mold to replace the pringles cans. What a pita those are... opening up, leaving a seam-line, making the loaf with a wonky side. I doubt I'll ever use it again unless there are no pringles cans to be had in the house.

Back