Pringles can

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepibarra

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but How do you prepare a Pringles can for cp? do I need to cut off the bottom part that is alum...? I really want to attempt using this, but do not know how to prepare the can.... Any help would be appreciated... :)

i cut the bottom off and replace it with several layers of saran wrap either taped and or rubber banded to the tube, place the plastic lid over this and for safety sake place the can inside something like a coffee can or small bucket i have a wide mouth tall coffee mug that it fits in that i use, ( just in case it leaks ). line the inside with a mylar sheet or freezer paper so you can reuse the can.

In addition, I put a little parafin wax in the original lid, and put it on while the wax is soft and I get a great leak proof seal. This is the bottom of the mold for me.

The plastic "jars" from icing containers work great, too. Just cut the bottom off, this will now be the top end. I line it with freezer paper and the "mold" washed up perfect. :D

Digit

I never did anything to the cans. When I first started making soap it was all I used. Everyone I knew was saving them for me. I did learn to be very careful handling the cans, they are soft and 'finger-squeezes" show up on the finished logs.

Why do you cut the ends off?

Deda said:
Why do you cut the ends off?

I do it because I use the original opening with the lid waxed on as the bottom and the cut off end as the top to pour in the soap. Then I remove the waxed on lid and push the soap log out that end. :D

Digit

I just tried a pringles can yesterday for the first time! Yay me! I didn't do anything to it though. I researched it a bit, found so much conflicting information I just decided to pour in the soap (100% OO) and set it in a glass bread pan "just in case". I haven't taken it out yet, will tomorrow...hopefully all's ok. I'm just going to "peel" the can off of the soap (that's the plan anyway) I'll let ya know if it turns out ok. wish me lucks!

jadiebugs1 said:
I'm just going to "peel" the can off of the soap

That's what I did, just like canned biscuits. Worked like a charm.

I had to preserve the can for multiple use. Already had to eat an entire box of chocolate covered cherries for that perfect sized box! :lol: I can only eat so many more Pringles. Then again......... :lol: :lol:

Digit

Well, I took it out last night and sliced it and it turned out beautifully! I'll post some pics if I think about it when I get back from being gone over the weekend. My only problem with it was......How to cut it straight??? I cut the bars in my miter box like I do my M&P slices, but they didn't all turn out very "even". But the pringles can worked great! (I didn't insulate by the way, was afraid it would over heat and bust through the can!)

jadiebugs1 said:
My only problem with it was......How to cut it straight??? I cut the bars in my miter box like I do my M&P slices, but they didn't all turn out very "even". But the pringles can worked great! (I didn't insulate by the way, was afraid it would over heat and bust through the can!)

Woo-hoo, post the pics. I do the exact same - in a mitre box and they are always off! I think the mitre box issue for me is that the soap is higher than the sides so I can not do a straight downward slice. So, since Paul is having his SMF sale, I went ahead and got the log cutter. It will allow me to adjust the thickness, too. Good enough excuse for me. :lol:

Digit

digit said:
jadiebugs1 said:
So, since Paul is having his SMF sale, I went ahead and got the log cutter. It will allow me to adjust the thickness, too. Good enough excuse for me. :lol:

Digit

I did not see a sale on etsy--- did I not read far enough down? I didn't see a post either--- Hate to pass up a sale

Finally!.......here are the pics from the 100% OO I made in the pringles can, didn't turn out too bad. I wish I had a log cutter (if that's what they're called) I kinda get tired of trying to figure out how to cut my soaps........ :roll:

here's the log
OOinpringlescan.jpg

here's after i cut it, you can see how uneven they are!
OOinpringlescansliced.jpg

stepibarra said:
This might be a silly question, but How do you prepare a Pringles can for cp? do I need to cut off the bottom part that is alum...? I really want to attempt using this, but do not know how to prepare the can.... Any help would be appreciated... :)

I just spray PAM in mine and when it is ready, I peel the can off like a can of biscuits. I really, really like my round soaps. So easy to cut. You can slice them thin for samples or thick for bath use. The ONLY problem is having to eat all of those Pringles just to get the one-time use of the can :shock: . I can't keep doing that.

I bought pvc pipe at home depot, it was a few bucks for the (I think 8'section) and then cut into 12". I must confess I have not used them yet. Although....I do miss those pringles??

I looked at those pvc pipes and thought about it for a moment, but I thought it wold be too hard to get the soap out. With the pringles cans, they are just too easy...peel and toss.

CiCi said:
I looked at those pvc pipes and thought about it for a moment, but I thought it wold be too hard to get the soap out. With the pringles cans, they are just too easy...peel and toss.

I actually take freezer paper and line the pipe. Then to unmold, flip it upside down and push the log out by using an old Tupperware tumbler, it is the perfect size. Once I have enough to grab onto to, it slides out easily. I do the same with the Pringles can so I can re-use it. Besides, I prefer M&Ms and have not figured out a way to use the bag as a mold. :lol: :lol:

Many do not line the pipe and it works well for them. There are threads about getting the logs out of the pipes by freezing them and/or running briefly under water.

Digit

The freezing method has never worked for me, in other molds. I've heard of the freezer paper in the pipe, but wondered if it leaves some kind of crease where it seams? I guess it all just sounded like too much of a hassel to me. The Pam has worked really well as a releasing agent in other molds, but I've never tried it in pipe...maybe one day. Thanks for the info.

Back