Quantcast

Pringles can safe usage... any tips?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of potato chips so I've been trying for weeks to get some Pringles cans to try a tube mold. Now that I've finally got some, I plan on trying an ITP swirl tomorrow and am unsure of any issues I need to be aware of. I know to line it with freezer or parchment paper, but is there anything else I should be careful of?

TIA all :)

CTAnton

Reaction score
tipping/spillage...I like them as well...the tubes AND the chips...I set mine up in a stainless steel pot with towels around them to keep them secure...as they say...ask me how I know...

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Be sure to secure the bottom. I usually cut the metal ring off the bottom them secure the plastic lid to the bottom with duct tape.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
tipping/spillage...I like them as well...the tubes AND the chips...I set mine up in a stainless steel pot with towels around them to keep them secure...as they say...ask me how I know...
Hadn't thought of that, TY...

Be sure to secure the bottom. I usually cut the metal ring off the bottom them secure the plastic lid to the bottom with duct tape.
the metal ring... could I cover it with tape rather than cut it off? TY btw :)

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not use tape over that metal. I would get rid of the metal all together. If the soap batter leaked under the tape, you could have issues of the lye reacting to the metal. I would not chance it.

You are going to have to remove the bottom to unmold anyway, may as well get rid of it on the front end.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the bottom off, put a piece of freezer paper over the top and put the plastic lid back on. Then I tape it closed with masking tape.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I cut the bottom off and then turn the can upside down and tape the lid on securely. I line my Pringles cans with freezer paper. This makes it much easier to remove the soap and the can is reusable.

kumudini

Reaction score
I wonder how much it cost you to buy those cans. I never liked Pringles either and figured if I just bought them for the cans, I would be wasting as I assumed that we have to tear them apart to unmold. So I went and got myself a PVC pipe, precut no less, with two end caps. It cost me 15$ but it's something I can reuse like a proper mold. If you just buy 1 end cap, it would come down to $10. If you are just trying to see if you like round soap, just ignore what I said.

vmakkers

Reaction score
I use a can opener to take the bottom metal portion off and then flip the tube over. I use the top as the bottom and put plastic wrap, lid, then more plastic wrap to prevent leaks. I line mine with flexible plastic cutting boards from Dollar Tree. I use a little double sided tape to make sure the cutting board sticks to the sides and it gives me a more circular shape. I like using the cutting board as a liner because I have it sticking out a little higher than the tube itself and I can easily just push the liner through the tube to remove the soap or use the extra height to pull the soap out.

BlackDog

Reaction score
I cut the bottom off, put a piece of freezer paper over the top and put the plastic lid back on. Then I tape it closed with masking tape.
I've done it twice this way with good results (but I used duct tape). Also, I recommend the Jalapeno flavor Pringles :)

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done it twice this way with good results (but I used duct tape). Also, I recommend the Jalapeno flavor Pringles :)
When I un-mold, I remove the bottom so I can give the soap a push while I am pulling at the lining paper. I would worry duct tape might damage the can, so I want to use it again.

BlackDog

Reaction score
kchaystack I didn't think about that, but I don't reuse them - excuse to buy more Pringles :shifty:

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I wonder how much it cost you to buy those cans. I never liked Pringles either and figured if I just bought them for the cans, I would be wasting as I assumed that we have to tear them apart to unmold. So I went and got myself a PVC pipe, precut no less, with two end caps. It cost me 15$ but it's something I can reuse like a proper mold. If you just buy 1 end cap, it would come down to $10. If you are just trying to see if you like round soap, just ignore what I said.
I didn't buy the fans, I got them from friends, and I like repurposing things that might otherwise go to the dump :)

kumudini

Reaction score
I didn't buy the fans, I got them from friends, and I like repurposing things that might otherwise go to the dump :)
Yeah, I do that too. If only hubby had his way, I would've been inundated with those cans as well. Poor thing, wifey won't let him have Pringles.

Latest posts