Pringles can as a mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchenckOrchard

Reaction score
So I am on the hunt for a cylindrical mold other than PVC pipe and I have been eyeballing my empty Pringles tube. Has anyone used this before? Does the fact that its cardboard make it a bad idea (in case it gets too moist and falls apart). Any advice is helpful!

A Pringles can makes a pretty good mold. I lined my Pringles can. I first greased it up with petroleum jelly so the freezer paper would stay in place. I taped the plastic lid securely in place and cut off the metal bottom. I poured the soap through that end. When the soap is ready, just take off the plastic lid and use something to push the soap out of the can.

lsg said:
A Pringles can makes a pretty good mold. I lined my Pringles can. I first greased it up with petroleum jelly so the freezer paper would stay in place. I taped the plastic lid securely in place and cut off the metal bottom. I poured the soap through that end. When the soap is ready, just take off the plastic lid and use something to push the soap out of the can.

This is really clever, thanks for posting it! Do you line or grease the plastic top before using? or does the soap not stick to it?

I used pringles cans for many batches. I never lined or greased it. I simply pealed off the can when ready to unmold. I never had a problem.

I do the same as Scentapy. I do wipe it out with a slightly damp paper towel because of the salt and that is it. It will just peel off, I snip the top right where the peeling should start to get it going.

Are you talking about using in CP?

I know you can use with M&P....but I was worried about trying it with CP as the inside of the can has an aluminum coating around the cardboard..

So if you grease it up with petroleum jelly and line with freezer paper the cp soap will be alright?

I tried the upside down method cutting off the metal bottom, using the plastic top as the bottom, secured it with duct tape, and once I poured M&P soap base into it, it started leaking from the plastic top (which was my bottom).

It was easier to use 3" pvc pipe with caps secured then the pringles can.

Thanks for posting that link. I think I am going to give it a try without insulating it too much. Maybe I'll just try a half batch to see what happens since it seems like some have trouble with the Pringles can and others do not.

youreapima2 said:
Are you talking about using in CP?

I know you can use with M&P....but I was worried about trying it with CP as the inside of the can has an aluminum coating around the cardboard..

So if you grease it up with petroleum jelly and line with freezer paper the cp soap will be alright?

I tried the upside down method cutting off the metal bottom, using the plastic top as the bottom, secured it with duct tape, and once I poured M&P soap base into it, it started leaking from the plastic top (which was my bottom). It was easier to use 3" pvc pipe with caps secured then the pringles can.

I was also leary of the aluminum coating, that is why I lined the can and took off the metal bottom. This also allows you to use the can more than once. I didn't have any leaks around the lid, which I used as the bottom. Maybe I poured at a thicker trace. I don't think that I insulated my can after the soap was in it. I also did not fill it completely full.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Off to Home Depot I go...............

sosocal said:
I was at the Home Depot the other day and picked up a "viewtainer" for around $3. It is spill proof, see through, and has removable end caps. I lined it with freezer paper by just placing a piece inside. It is about the diameter of a pringles can but a bit shorter. It is fantastic!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

SO AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!!!

Latest posts

Back