Prices!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I went to my usual grocery store and the Sunflower Oil had gone from $10.50 for 3 liters to $11.50. Today I go to the grocery store and it has gone up to $14.50!!! What is going on???

Just back from a buying trip. I found lard at $2.49 per 454 grams (usual price $3.89 per 454 gms). I bought 6 pounds.

And I found mid-oleic sunflower oil for $9.99 per 3 liters (price in other stores: $14.50 per 3 liters). I bought 21 liters.

Man, you really gotta run to stay ahead of THE MAN!

Man, you really gotta run to stay ahead of THE MAN!

Yep. But when chasing prices, don’t forget to consider your time and transportation costs.

I used to sit down once a month with my list on a spreadsheet…then I would open windows of all my suppliers and start entering prices. Preference is of course…one-stop-shop, but it doesn’t always work out that way…something I would split my order and sometimes I just wouldn’t buy something that month.

Now days, I can get most of my stuff locally. There is Costco for Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils…one by my house and one by my work. The rest of the stuff comes from a local soap supplier. The good news is that they have Will Call and are only a 30 minute drive from my office. The bad news is that their hours are the same as mine. The good news is that they are considering being open for part of the day of Saturday. The bad news is that they are 90 minutes from my house. The good news is that a lot of their prices are excellent. The bad news is that some of them aren’t. So I ran the numbers…over all cost, plus the cost of transportation plus the cost of my time.

Latest posts

Back