price on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I went into a little store today and they were selling some soaps. nice looking soap, seemed to be around 4.5 ounces--it wasn't marked though. and while it was pretty soap it wasn't what I would consider exceptional. there were some long soap shavings sticking up out of the top and it had a swirl to it. no ingredient labels so didn't know if it wasn't scented with EOs or FOs--there was a little paper in front of each row with the scent for the row. All for the price of $12.50. it got me to wondering what you guys that sell charge for a bar and how heavy are your bars? I could be wrong but wow!!!

I sell my 4-5 oz bars for $5, and my 7-8 oz "manly" bars for $8-$9 depending on what was used for scent. My 100% EO/organic bar that is 8 oz I sell for $12. But it costs quite a bit more to make that one. It also does not sell as well as the cheaper ones. I am thinking of doing away with the organic oils and just using the EOs, as it is the scent most people are leery of, not the non-organic status.

I just raised my prices last season to $7 a bar, weights from 5.5oz - 7oz, and my 4oz I raised to $5 a bar. Not one person batted an eye or complained about the price.
I still had repeat customers, and did as well if not better than I usually always do.

All for the price of $12.50. it got me to wondering what you guys that sell charge for a bar and how heavy are your bars? I could be wrong but wow!!!
If this person is a success at this, they must know their market well. As long as you know your market, you can sell for the asking price that market will bear. My market wouldn't bear that price probably, but I know several online venues (where you can't even sniff them, but have to rely solely on description or if you have bought before) where $12-$15 a bar is very average/typical.

Back