Preventing gel in GM and honey..alternative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
Hi folks.. My first CP Batch in many years is imminent, as soon as my new scale arrives in the mail. My preference is a non-gel soap, but I realize the issue with the milk and honey. I just like the more opaque color.. Being that there is no room in my fridge or freezer to place the log mold in, and, my individual molds are in a storage unit at the moment, is the only other option to run a fan on the mold? I am doing a bastile and I was gonna add the hot lye after it clears as a heat transfer for the coconut. May wait for it to cool down more? TIA for any other tips...

Do you have a cooler chest? Maybe put ice packs in it around the mold if you have a cooler chest big enough.

You probably know this already, but don't use a wooden mold. Wood insulates, but you want the opposite of that. Use a silicone loaf mold (not a mold liner) so that heat can escape. Or better yet, a milk carton on its side with the side panel removed.

+1 for the milk carton upcycling. Depending on your degree of paranoia, you might even plunge it in a cold water bath, that carries away heat a lot better than any fan could (and is quieter).

I was gonna add the hot lye after it clears as a heat transfer for the coconut. TIA for any other tips...

Maybe don't do heat transfer this time. The GM and honey are already going to heat things up. I think I would just melt all my hard oils and use a room temperature lye solution. That would be a start, anyway.

Also, being your first time soaping in a while, consider a smaller batch. I don't know how big your mold is, but "log mold" sounds pretty big. But then, I lean towards smaller batches anyway.

If you don't have a smaller mold, I also vote for the milk carton.

Do you have a cooler chest? Maybe put ice packs in it around the mold if you have a cooler chest big enough.

You probably know this already, but don't use a wooden mold. Wood insulates, but you want the opposite of that. Use a silicone loaf mold (not a mold liner) so that heat can escape. Or better yet, a milk carton on its side with the side panel removed.
I don't, but that is a great idea, will note this for future..I do have a new wooden log mold with silicone liner, so will have to skip that and yes, I have some leftover quart milk cartons..Thanks so much!

Maybe don't do heat transfer this time. The GM and honey are already going to heat things up. I think I would just melt all my hard oils and use a room temperature lye solution. That would be a start, anyway.

Also, being your first time soaping in a while, consider a smaller batch. I don't know how big your mold is, but "log mold" sounds pretty big. But then, I lean towards smaller batches anyway.

If you don't have a smaller mold, I also vote for the milk carton.
Only using a small amount of coconut oil as a hard oil, this is a Bastille..2 pound batch.. Thanks, I will let the lye cool more before using.. Itching to try my new log mold, but I do have some leftover quart milk cartons..Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back