Preventing FO browning in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingGoodAustin

Reaction score
Hi there;

I'm positive I've seen threads on this subject, but I can't find them now. Apologies if this is a tired subject. I just bought Wholesale Supplies Plus' Frankincense and Myrrh FO/EO blend for use in a holiday soap. The product description says it contains 8% vanilla and will discolor soap to tan (one review says chocolate brown). I'd like to do a bicolor swirl--how effective is Titanium Dioxide in reducing this kind of browning? Would a clay like kaolin also be effective?

My thought was to add the fragrance to the entire batch and use the TD or clay to lighten half of it before attempting my swirl. Alternatively, I suppose I could add the FO to only half of the soap... but I suspect that would cause problems with the soap to add that much FO to a smaller portion.

It it helps, here's the link to the product info: Frankincense & Myrrh - EO & FO Blend 594.

Thoughts, suggestions, dire warnings?

If you put fragrance in half of your soap batter it is likely that it will eventually bleed into the uncolored parts over time. However, using TD in half the batch will produce a nice swirl that lasts. I have done this many times. You could also try darker colors like black or burgundy-colored oxide to do a contrasting swirl that will harmonize with the brown.

I do a half batch swirl with vbn, within six months the whole soap is brown, td will not stop it either, ime.

Sent from my Vox using Soap Making mobile app

If you put fragrance in half of your soap batter it is likely that it will eventually bleed into the uncolored parts over time. However, using TD in half the batch will produce a nice swirl that lasts. I have done this many times. You could also try darker colors like black or burgundy-colored oxide to do a contrasting swirl that will harmonize with the brown.

Ooh, I like the idea of black--I don't have any oxide, but I do have some activated charcoal on hand that might work. I'm going for a "We Three Kings" theme, so I also bought some gold mica, which I'll probably just dust over the top.

What percentage of TD would you recommend?

Depends on what effect you want. The TD portion will also darken somewhat but not as much. Think milk chocolate brown with a cafe latte colored swirl if you use a modest amount.

I usually don't measure. I have TD premixed in olive oil and I just add until the color looks right. Not very scientific I know.

Activated charcoal should work just fine.

I've never used TD before, so this will be exciting. I've ordered two different types--one says "for water" and the other claims to be mixable in either water or oil (but product reviews suggest that it mixes much better with water). If I use the first one and mix it with distilled water, can I add it to a portion of the soap at or just before trace, or do I have to add it to the lyewater?

You can add it at trace to the portion you want to color. Just don't hydrate your td with too much water before adding at trace or you will have to account for it by reducing the water used in your lye. Just make a super concentrated mixture with a tsp or less of water if you are making a small batch of soap. I like oil soluable td for just this reason. Like Judymoody, I have mine pre-mixed in oil and it's always handy when I need it.

Latest posts

Back