Preventing 'bleaching'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRoo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on the 'best' dyes/pigments to use in soap making to prevent the soaps 'bleaching' when out on display? Or any tips and techniques for helping prevent this?

I admit that the ones I am using at the minute are dirty cheap ones, so I wasn't really expecting them to last that long but the soaps I've made containing them do seem to bleach with frightening ease. I certainly wouldn't want to try and sell them, put it that way.

Cheers,
Andy

Sounds like you are either using food coloring type of colorant, or colorant that doesn't hold up to high pH. Try micas, oxides, and pigments specifically made for CP and high pH soaps.

I find all colorants will fade over time if soaps have been on display for quite a while, especially if sun gets on them at all. Natural colorants are the worst culprits. My daughter used to use a UV inhibitor in her m&p. Cosmetic UV Inhibitor. I am guessing being in the UK it would require a new assessment.

If you do not need an assessment can you get the UV Inhibitor in the UK? It did help her M&P soaps. If you can get micas I think you will have better luck. With micas you can mix them with alcohol before mixing in your m&p then you can let the alcohol evaporate and your mica will go back to powdered. It works out great with no waste.

I have been reading the reviews for those colors and sorry to say the reviews are not great. Many say the colors just do not stick.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll try it! I've actually never heard of a UV inhibitor in soap making, so I'll investigate it. Right now we're just messing around an experimenting with new techniques and products to go on a blog so we can decide what we do and don't like - so it's not important to get it 'picture perfect' right now. Just practising.

Latest posts

Back