Presto Electric Pot -- LOVE IT!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
I have just purchased a Presto Electric Pot - LOVE IT! I use it to melt my oils and waxes for soaping... I read somewhere that oils can combust if overheated - yikes.

I may hev hubby put a spout in the side, but its fine without it -- the cost was ONLY $22 at Wally World.

Super easy and affordable - I can even still use it to cook in! :)

Thought I would share... Cheers from CA!

i started out as a chandelier and made the Presto pot with the spigot in the side. I've been melting my butters and heating my oils for soaping in it on a low heat setting for 2-1/2 years now without any problems! I think that rumor is unfounded as the Presto pot can be used to fry in and heat oils up to that temp. If you can fry in canola, peanut, corn, safflower, olive, or a number of oils, why would it explode or catch fire when used for heating soap making oils? :? I've heard this rumor too, and have had conversations here that people thought the Presto Pot was unacceptable to use in soaping and lotion making. Since they are Teflon coated, easy to clean, what the heck would they be unacceptable? I even put it in my dishwasher to sterilize it, then let dry overnight.

OK, off my soap-box again! :lol:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
i started out as a chandelier and made the Presto pot with the spigot in the side. I've been melting my butters and heating my oils for soaping in it on a low heat setting for 2-1/2 years now without any problems! I think that rumor is unfounded as the Presto pot can be used to fry in and heat oils up to that temp. If you can fry in canola, peanut, corn, safflower, olive, or a number of oils, why would it explode or catch fire when used for heating soap making oils? :? I've heard this rumor too, and have had conversations here that people thought the Presto Pot was unacceptable to use in soaping and lotion making. Since they are Teflon coated, easy to clean, what the heck would they be unacceptable? I even put it in my dishwasher to sterilize it, then let dry overnight.

OK, off my soap-box again! :lol:

Paul

Hi Paul -- I tend to agree with you - I am sure if you were to leave it unattended it would eventually catch fire - but it would need to be really HOT!

I personally think if you could eat from cooking in the Presto Pot - then what is the reasoning for being unacceptable for soaping or candlemaking - its not like you would eat the soap?!? On the low setting I also use it - it makes my life SO much easier...

I might give my hubby a honey-do and ask him to do the spigot thingy in the side... thanks Paul - wheels spinning now! :)

( I will blame it on you for this one!) ;)

Roro, do you want to see what mine looks like? I can add a picture of it for you to see. I use the "low' setting too. I love using it to heat my oils for soap and the oil phase on my lotion making! :wink:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
Roro, do you want to see what mine looks like? I can add a picture of it for you to see. I use the "low' setting too. I love using it to heat my oils for soap and the oil phase on my lotion making! :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul

Oh yes! That would be great... So far I am just using mine without the thingy on the side... I have made my first Lotion Candles and also used it for soaping and it works great! Really super easy to clean... although I am not sure about the putting in the nozzle as it works great as is -- I also realized that it can go into the dishwasher too! LOVE IT! I would love to see it!

:) Cheers...

I have 2 presto pots with the spigot attached and I love it! I've used one of them for wax only ( so I don't have to clean it for soaps :) and the other one will be used for Gel candles or soapmaking, although I've used a crock pot for hp. I use the low temp, but I clip a thermometer on the side to keep an eye on the temp in case something goes wrong :)

I use my presto pots alot of times to rebatch soap in. I have one especially for that. I use to use them for my candles but now I use the turkey fryers for that. I melt my oils and butters in the microwave using only 30% power.

Here are a few pictures you asked for of my Presto Pot with the brass valve and spigot I installed. This Presto Pot is about 4 years old now, and I have always since day 1 used it to melt my hard oils and butters in when I master-batch a recipe. I clean it for use every time I make a master-batch of soap oils/butters, and sanitize it when I get ready to make a big batch of cream or lotions. I set the temperature dial on warm, and the oils melt fairly fast, as I stir with a plastic spoonula.

Michele005.jpg

Michele001.jpg

The 1/2 gallon of farm fresh, but unrefrigerated, soured goat's milk in the picture;
Michele006.jpg

I would be lost without my trusty Presto Pot! :!:

Paul

I bought one with a spigot when I was researching soaping. Then I realized you couldn't mix your oils and lye mixture in it. But then I realize I could melt my lard at a low level without worrying about it.

jackie

Latest posts

Back