Pressure cooking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryanything

Reaction score
I finally got to use my brand new pressure cooker. Started off with a simple beef stew. It was awesome, fast and easy to use. I can't wait to try more recipes in it! Anyone got any good pressure cooker recipes?

I have an electric pressure cooker/rice cooker and love it. My daughter uses hers to cook her potatoes, fast and easy. I use to make cabbage rolls in my pressure cooker. The pressure cooker is a great way to precook ribs before barbecuing them. I have lost my cabbage roll recipe,but here is a link to a recipe that looks a lot like the one I used.

http://www.recipecottage.com/pressure-cooker/cabbage-rolls.html

BBQ pulled pork.

A pork shoulder (small enough to fit in the cooker)
bbq rub of your choice, apply liberally
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup bbq sauce

Cook on high pressure about an hour, let the pressure release on its own. Shred the pork, you can add more bbq sauce.

Enjoy!

(p.s. this made enough for dinner, leftovers, and some to freeze)

eta* you can also use some liquid smoke if you want to add some smokey flavor

Same recipes as above with beef chuck roast or chicken. Wonderful make ahead BBQ sandwich filling. I typically shred mine and then fill 2 cup containers for the freezer for easy suppers in the summer.

Also makes wonderful meats for tacos, and such. Just swap in Mexican flavorings and such, and there you have it. It is much easier to keep tortillas and cheese and such on hand than buns for BBQ.

I have an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker). I love it for beer can chicken, rice, beans and hard boiled eggs! The egg shells just fall right off, even on same day laid fresh eggs. 6 mins on low pressure, natural release then put eggs into ice water until cool.

I am going to have to try that method for hard boiled eggs, I spent waaaaaaaay too much time Easter Sunday trying to peel stubborn eggs.

The only pressure cooker I have is a very large, aluminum, All American brand pressure canner (it's huge and heavy and wonderful for pressure canning!), but I would love to get a more manageable-sized one for cooking instead of canning (preferably made of non-reactive metal). Are there any you would recommend above others?

IrishLass :)

The only pressure cooker I have is a very large, aluminum, All American brand pressure canner (it's huge and heavy and wonderful for pressure canning!), but I would love to get a more manageable-sized one for cooking instead of canning (preferably made of non-reactive metal). Are there any you would recommend above others?

IrishLass :)

If you want electric, the only one I know of that's 18/10 stainless is Instant Pot. All the others are tephlon coated aluminum. Fagor brand might have some stainless stove top ones.

Stock is really quick too, 30 mins natural release. It's much faster than simmering on the stove for hours.

I have the WMF perfect plus pressure cooker (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000060NSZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I really debated a stove top type or the electric/slow cooker combination type. I finally decided on the stove top since it had just one or two pluses - you can cool the pot a lot faster by sticking it under a faucet instead of waiting for it to naturally cool. I also like that I can just use it as a regular pot as well (cause I could always use some more big pans!). I already have a pretty good slow cooker for food and a small one for soaping so I didn't feel like I needed another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back