Pressed vs. Processed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Whenever I see someone on the forum write "cold pressed," I always assume that autocorrect changed "processed" into "pressed."

Hearing it again in a Dr. Squatch commercial, I googled "cold pressed soap" and found a whole lot of people selling hand made cold pressed soaps.

What does this phrase mean in the soaping world? Is it just a lot of people mixing up "processed" with "pressed"? Is there something different that I didn't know about?

I think the people who use the term Cold Pressed are confusing it with what it actually means in reference to oils and juices. They may have become so used to seeing "cold pressed" on the bottles at the supermarket for so many years, that once they start looking into making soap, they just carry it over because Cold Process is at first foreign to them.

Then for some reason or another, they don't learn the proper term and continue to use the wrong one.

IMO, Earlene has the right of it. It was originally a mistake and now it's a "thing."

The SMF administrators updated the names of the forums here a few years back. What is now called the "Lye based soap forum" was originally called the "Cold pressed forum. "

I agree with @earlene, it's misunderstanding and then continuing to use the incorrect term.

I had this happen to me for a demonstration that I gave early this year, in their publications they had it noted as "cold press" soapmaking. When I agreed to the demonstration, it was over the phone with someone who isn't familiar with the soapmaking process or terms, so I didn't think much of it. Of course, a soapmaker saw it and posted on FB (I don't think she realized I follow her) that no one should learn how to make soap from someone who doesn't know the correct terms! Of course I explained the situation to that maker (and hopefully her audience saw it). The local newspaper was at the demonstration, so I made sure the correct term was clear to the crew - which turned out to be good because my picture made the front page for the demonstration!
1589556270848.png

"Cold press" soap and confusing carrier/base oils and essential oils seems to go hand in hand.

Back