Preserving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have froze soap, in fact I probably have some from a few years back still in the deep freeze.
I did it to prevent dos as it had a high iodine number and I was worried.

I should pull a bar out and see how the scent is.
Last time I checked it, it still smelled nice. The soap does get damp while thawing so any glitter or other decorative stuff would probably run.
Maybe thawing slow in the fridge would help.

has anyone ever preserved soap by freezing? Is that a thing? If someone made a particular holiday soap, and they didn’t sell out, could the soap be preserved until next year in some way?

I just put mine in a cardboard box in the garage.

I have froze soap, in fact I probably have some from a few years back still in the deep freeze.
I did it to prevent dos as it had a high iodine number and I was worried.

I should pull a bar out and see how the scent is.
Last time I checked it, it still smelled nice. The soap does get damp while thawing so any glitter or other decorative stuff would probably run.
Maybe thawing slow in the fridge would help.

Huh. My deep freezer is full of all sorts of (freezer burnt) delights. Its not unheard of for me to pull out a pie thinking its savoury only to find as I cut into it its fruit (which makes for some interesting dinners). I can fully see myself pulling out what seems to be some pastry only to find its soap if it made its way to my freezer.....

I’ve been kind of panicking about my Christmas soaps. But they’re finally selling. 😆 Whew! I really am going to try and freeze one and see what happens though. Curious if it changes.
I found the piece of soap I had in the freezer for almost a year. It smelled great and looked fine, but I managed to lay it aside somewhere “safe“ in my house and haven’t seen it since 🤣. Will report back when I find it again and give it a test run.

could the soap be preserved until next year in some way?
No need to freeze it to preserve it. It just gets better with age. Soap stores very well covered and kept in a dark, cool place like my basement, although I have most of my bars stashed in chest of drawers in my 2nd floor guest bedroom. 😉 :thumbs:

I was trying to gauge how/if cold storage affects scent retention of EOs. As it turns out, the blend I used was retained super well in the soap that spent 11 months in the freezer, but also in other bars that were stored in a closed box on a shelf. I think freezing soap would slow down oxidation that leads to rancidity, but also water loss and probably anything else that happens during the cure. Now, if I can only find that soap.

Hi @Spoonie98, you can shrink-wrap or vacuum-wrap your bars as soon as they have cured. Depending on your recipe, that is usually a minimum of four weeks after unmolding. Many of our members do that, especially those who sell, but it is usually more about preserving scent than it is preventing rancidity.

A balanced recipe made with good oils, that is kept out of sunlight and not in direct contact with metal, should not become rancid easily. Other ways to slow or prevent rancidity include adding ROE to your oils, and using a chelator in your soap. There are lots of great threads here about all of those - happy researching! :)

Latest posts

Back