Preservatives in UK

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estintre

Reaction score
I’m looking for some recommendations on preservatives in UK.
I manage to buy Optiphen plus and Liquid Germall plus but the price is horrendous.
What could I use instead? It’s for emulsions and scrubs mainly.
Also, is Olivem 1000 good substitute for emulsifing wax nf? Or just any emulsifing wax?

Hi Estintre, I've (successfully) made a few emulsions and have used Preservative K from Aromantic.co.uk. It's about £4 for 30ml +£4 delivery. It's only drawback is the final emulsion has to be below 5 ph, but I've never had a problem. I also use BTMS 25 as my emulsifier with cetearyl alcohol.

Here is what I know about Olivem 1000 from the Humblebee & Me website, along with some other research I've done.

Olivem is a natural alternative to E-wax NF, but it tends to soap more, and can result in a thicker end product. It is typically recommended to use a stabilizer like xanthan gum with Olivem 1000, too; not doing so can result in your emulsion separating more easily. But it's a great choice if you are looking for a "natural" product (COSMOS certified).

Thank you.

I’ve bought small bottle of Plantserve E to try.

plantaserve e (phenoxyethanol & ethylhexylglycerin)​

‘Plantaserve E (previously known as Preservative 12) is a cosmetic preservative offering you broad based protection against bacteria, yeasts and mould fungi. It is a unique formulation with multi functional actions, offering the consumer many beneficial uses in their cosmetic manufacturing procedures. Not to be used in products with detergents, clays, exfoliating agents and emulsions with a high number of actives.’

What do you think of this?

At the time when I was ordering nobody recommended me anything so I bought little bit to check it out.

Back