Preservative ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4us

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here. I make creams/lotions for myself and family. I am about to order preservatves, Germall Plus liquid
and either Liquapar or Optiphen. I wanted a nonparaben preservative, but have mixed thoughts regarding any formulating issues with Optiphen (not Optiphen Plus)
I occasionally make anhydrous products or those with a low percentage of water. I have read if Optiphen is used properly at low temp, there should be no issues.
I also realize the percentage of parabens used is extremely small.

May I ask what is the most preferred preservatve of the two.

Welcome to the forum! :D

I can't answer your question about Optiphen because I've only used Optiphen Plus. However, here's a link to a comparison chart from Swift's blog which might help you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1020026/preservativechart.pdf

You could also used the advanced search button. Just typing in Optiphen will bring up quite a few comments that you could skim through to see what info you can find.

I personally have had problems with Optiphen Plus at one point and it turned out to be a defective batch... Since then I have gone back to Germall Plus but in the powder form which I quite like. I have also used Geo-Guard which is eco-certified and is a good option.

Swift's page that Hazel posted is an excellent resource and her research is amazing!

Good luck and welcome to another addiction.... oh yeah and pictures, well they are a must.... we're addicts for them... :lol:

Latest posts

Back