preservative question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuppah

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post here though I have been lurking for a while. I'm in the beginning stages of making lotion. I made my first batch yesterday - it emulsified beautifully and feels wonderful. However, upon further research, I learned the preservative I used (Germall plus, liquid) may not protect against mold. Yikes! The supplier I purchased the Germall plus from also carries Germaben II, however I read (only from one source though) that Germaben II may inactivated by ceteareth 20 (but not inactivated by cetearyl acohol)- I use soft and silky ewax - the INCI name for soft and silky ewax is cetearyl alcohol cetearth 20.
The other one I thought of for lotions would be optiphen plus - I did not find any info on it being inactivated by ceteareth 20, however, again it may not protect against mold.

Help! I'm just looking for a broad spectrum preservative to use in lotion and not inactivated by the use of soft and silky ewax and can easily be found online to purchase.

Liquid Germall Plus is broad spectrum, so it should be fine for most water based applications. I have used it for over a year now & have not had any issues.

I never use just one preservative, my combination for most lotions is Optiphen Plus and Germall Plus using both at full strength. I do not find this combination will hold if oils are infused with botanicals. Optiphen Plus is most effective in products with a ph of 6 or less

You also need to take a year or so of testing and remember you cannot tell by looking at a lotion if it is good or not. Ours have been challenged tested and going to go out again this year for challenge testing.

I also find it is not good to add in powder starches such as Tapioca Starch, as some supplies have in their lotion recipes such as some on the Soap Queen site. Every test I have done with starches have gone moldy in a few months.

Last edited:
Thanks ! I've been turning myself inside out over which one to use. And the part about some being inactivated by the soft and silky ewax had me in knots as I really like the feel of it!

cmzaha - do you add this combo to the water phase or oil phase or after you emulsify the two?

Any recommendations for an oil soluble preservative for things like emulsified sugar scrubs or other oil based products that may come in contact with water. I purchased phenonip but then learned it's inactivated by ceteareth 20 (something the supplier does not state)

I add in my preservative at cool down, which I do quickly by using ice water and an ice bath to cool my lotion quickly. I am usually making a couple of gallons at a time so I do not want to wait long for the lotion to cool.

After I heat and hold my distilled water I take out a couple cups of the water and put it in the freezer so I at least have slushy ice water to add after initial emulsification. This method works for my recipes but if using a persnickety emulsifier you may not want to add in the cold water. Liqual Germall Plus has to be added at 122º F or below and Optiphen Plus can be added at a temp up to 176ºF although I add it in around 150ºF

Back