preparing lye solution in aluminium foil error

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
I unknowingly since the cup i had to make the lye solution was small i had a aluminium foil and i weighted the water in the aluminium foil and later added the lye flakes into it.The foil which we use for food packing also reacted and it tore and ended up in all my solution flowing on the floor.I cleaned immediately.Could you please let me know which is the appropriate vessel to make lye solution.can we use stainless steel.Will the reaction with aluminium foil cause any dangerous gas so that we have to call some persons to cure our home. The first time i prepared i placed a vessel in a tray containing ice cubes and did safely and the soap is in curing process.That was fine.second time i made a mistake.Is stainless steel vessel the good option

You can use stainless steel. Lye reacts with foil. Not sure if your plastics have recycling codes but any container with a 2 or 5 in the triangle on the bottom are safe to use as well. The reaction with foil can be dangerous I would toss any soap you made your lye in foil with.

Madam I don't understand the last line you meant that you toss because iam an indian.
Also I fully opened all the windows.will there be any dangerous gases that I will have to call for the safety people to clean the house

Madam I don't understand the last line you meant that you toss because iam an indian.
Also I fully opened all the windows.will there be any dangerous gases that I will have to call for the safety people to clean the house
The gas that is produced is simple Hydrogen gas, since it was a small amount and you have ventilation from the open windows, I wouldn't worry.
By "toss" she means throw away the soap that was made.

If you want to test to see how well plastic containers will hold up to lye, fill it with boiling water (somewhere safe, like in a sink) - if it stays quite solid and robust with the boiling water, it would be okay for making some lye solution in. But I wouldn't store a solution in something with out checking out the recycling numbers which Shunt mentioned.

If you want to test to see how well plastic containers will hold up to lye, fill it with boiling water (somewhere safe, like in a sink) - if it stays quite solid and robust with the boiling water, it would be okay for making some lye solution in. But I wouldn't store a solution in something with out checking out the recycling numbers which Shunt mentioned.
Craig, you've been hiding.....saw you on facebook earlier today! ;)

Back