Preparing for my first batch and my pomace oil... isn't!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianV

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was all set to try my first batch tonight. I wanted to make a pure castile bar as my first attempt, so I picked up a 3L jug of 'Olive Pomace Oil with Extra Virgin Olive Oil'. I just got home and looked at the back to find out that it's blended with an unknown percentage of Canola.

Here's the product:

http://www.saporitofoods.com/products/olive-oils/olive-pomace-oil.php

I'm debating what to do. I feel tempted to try it anyways to learn the process. I've read a few threads about 'Canolive' blends, and the lesson seems to be that you should be able to avoid DOS / rancidity if you avoid overheating the oil in the first place.

My other concern is lye usage given that I don't know the exact percentages of each oil. Assuming 3lbs of oil, SoapCalc gives a range of 6.06 - 6.11 ozs when I switch between 85%/15% OO/CO and 15%/85% OO/CO. This seems to be within measuring error, almost. Given a 5% SF target to start out, is this worth worrying about?

Any other tips to help me avoid disaster? I'd rather not wait until tomorrow night, and I'm not sure I can find 'real' Pomace Oil without travelling to the nearest city (over 1hr away) and I'd like to avoid the cost of using a higher grade of OO.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Some googling turned up a thread in this forum which deals with this oil:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=372949&postcount=33

It seems that it is 85% Canola and 15% OO.

I'm thinking I may just return it to the store. I might have attempted it if it was 50/50%. I suspect 85% Canola oil is asking for trouble :cry:

Set your SF at 5% and use the lesser amount of lye. It might increase your SF a bit but its better then having it be lye heavy.

EDIT: yes, if its that much canola then its not worth risking.

Now I'm confused.
I followed the first link to the product page which lists ingredients as Pomace, Canola, Extra Virgin OO which indicates that pomace is the primary ingredient followed by canola and finishing in last place is the virgin OO.

If the company knows that this oil is 85% canola it is intentionally labelling the product wrong. Big no-no!!

BV what order are the oils listed in on the bottle that you have? Is there an 800 number on the bottle for questions? Before I took it back I think I would give the company a call to be sure what's in the jug.

And welcome to the forum !

Steve

Steve: I was mistaken. That user was discussing their 'Canola-Olive' blend, which is a different product.

I expect this product is a 50/50% blend, which is possible given that the ingredient listing is pomace oil, canola oil and EVOO in that order, perhaps 50%/49%/1%.

I also looked at this products nutritional info - it lists 1g saturated fat per 2tsp. Pure canola has ~0.75g per 2tsp. Pure OO has ~1.25g per tsp. A 50/50 mix of the two would give a 1g per 2tsp value as shown on the nutritional label.

So, how bad will a 50% Canola Oil bar be? I'm debating trying 75% OO / 25% olive oil by mixing this oil 50/50 with some good 100% Olive Oil I use for cooking. My other option at hand is adding say 20% coconut oil. I'm not sure if any of these makes a 'good' recipe.

I'd be happy for some guidance as to which way I should go. My best bet is probably to be patient and buy the correct oil tomorrow (if it can be found)... but I'm excited to try it.

Edit: Just tried calling the company, and it seems like everyone is gone for the day. Voicemail only...

Last edited:
I would agree that your best bet is to take it back and get the right kind of OO. I know its tempting to use what you have but canola really is a tricky oil and I wouldn't use more then 15% in a recipe.
I also recommend against castile as your first soap, you will end up waiting forever before you can use it.

Brian,
As long as you have the oil I would keep it and use it in blends.
What Obsidian said on the lye ratio.
If you play with soapcalc some more just change the superfat (SF) number, calculate the recipe, view the change and watch what happens with the amount of lye. The way soapcalc uses water as a percent of oils the only thing that will change is the amount of lye by a tiny bit to change the SF from 5 to 10 or 12.
So use the lower amount of lye and a SF around 5 and you should be able to make good soap with the oil - especially in blends with lard and / or CO ( or better both).
Obsidian and I cross posted.
You may in fact want to return the oil since it will take a LONG time to use it up in blends.

Just my humble opinion of course. I am relatively new to this and still learning.

Stick around! This is the forum to be at and learn the hows and whys of soap making.

Steve

Welcome to the forum. I would agree with Obsidians comments about not trying a castille bar on a first attempt. Although I can use mine at 6 months, I find they take a year to cure fully and be at their best. Before then, they make my skin tight and dry. They also like to be kept dry. I use it for a day and then have to swap to something else or it gets a bit slimy.

It may be worth thinking about other recipes, which will give you awesome soap, that is ready to use in just 6 weeks!

Lots of people on the forum suggest OO, PO and CO (not more than 20%). You can swap the PO for lard if you're not averse to animal fats? It makes a lovely creamy bar of soap, but I know it's not for everyone.

Whatever recipe you try, good luck. I've learnt so much on this forum, from some amazing people. Soapmaking is seriously addictive. There's nothing like trying your first soap and thinking, I made that!

Latest posts

Back