prepairing colorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
Newbie question: So you have a light trace, your colors are ready to go. How do you get the colors ready? do you use oil and mix the mica with it? If oil do you use your mixture you make up or just any oil? And is it the same process if you use powdered Mica or blocks? Thanks!!

Or, you can do what I like to do- I just mix the powdered colorants in a little glycerin (it mixes very well with both water dispersible and oil dispersible colorants).

Here is a recent post where I explain how I go about mixing my colorants with glycerin: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=607360&postcount=8

Having said that, I 100% ditto what lsg said about making sure that your colorants are body-safe and CP soap-safe. This is very important and cannot be emphasized enough for a few different reasons. Most sites that sell colorants for B&B are very good about listing which are safe for the body and CP.

RE: color blocks: I could be wrong, but from what I understand, color blocks are for use only in candle-making and are not body-safe. Hopefully a candle-maker more in the know about it will chime in to confirm that.

IrishLass :)

Or, you can do what I like to do- I just mix the powdered colorants in a little glycerin (it mixes very well with both water dispersible and oil dispersible colorants).

Ditto on using glycerin especially in TD.

Don't make the newb mistake I did and overdose on the glycerin though; it has caused rivers for me.

Back