Prep for February Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having never done this before, and after watching several videos, I'm not finding anything on how to color this soap dough. Do you color it after you split it and before you put it into the initial mold? Do you color it after the initial molding when it's the consistency you're looking for? If it's after it's set, what do you use? Dry mica? Liquid of some sort? I really want to try this challenge!

Having never done this before, and after watching several videos, I'm not finding anything on how to color this soap dough. Do you color it after you split it and before you put it into the initial mold? Do you color it after the initial molding when it's the consistency you're looking for? If it's after it's set, what do you use? Dry mica? Liquid of some sort? I really want to try this challenge!

I used soap dough for the first time for the soap rock challenge, and haven't made more since. I colored mine before molding with mica. I used the Sorcery Soap recipe, and it worked well for me, but was quite sticky for at least a week.

I had some white soap dough left over when Amy Warden's unicorn and rainbow challenge came up. I just added dry mica powder to the white soap dough and kneaded it until it was a uniform color. Wear gloves because it is a bit of a mess, but worked just fine and I think that is what I'm going to do again. Since we have no idea of what the challenge will be, other than using soap dough in some way, I'm just going to make a batch of white. I might split off a bit to color black, just because that seems like it might be a good idea.

You can use regular CP like soap dough. I tried it with a regular CP recipe and just left a little puddle of batter on freezer paper overnight. The next day it was firm enough to put in a ziplock bag, and stayed soft for quite awhile.

So I was thinking about this, and while I will give a try to making the dough from CP, there is more than one way to make soap dough with MP.

So is this going to be an CP challenge exclusively? Do we have to use sorcery recipe?

As an idea, why don't you post the challenge already with pictures samples of what the challenge and rules would be? That would be so helpful!

In post #4 newbie said you can use M&P and provided a link to making M&P soap dough.

I used soap dough for the first time for the soap rock challenge, and haven't made more since. I colored mine before molding with mica. I used the Sorcery Soap recipe, and it worked well for me, but was quite sticky for at least a week.

I had some white soap dough left over when Amy Warden's unicorn and rainbow challenge came up. I just added dry mica powder to the white soap dough and kneaded it until it was a uniform color. Wear gloves because it is a bit of a mess, but worked just fine and I think that is what I'm going to do again. Since we have no idea of what the challenge will be, other than using soap dough in some way, I'm just going to make a batch of white. I might split off a bit to color black, just because that seems like it might be a good idea.

You can use regular CP like soap dough. I tried it with a regular CP recipe and just left a little puddle of batter on freezer paper overnight. The next day it was firm enough to put in a ziplock bag, and stayed soft for quite awhile.

Thank you so much, dibbles! That explains a lot. I did the soap rocks challenge, too, and did the same freezer paper glob. I guess I just didn't know that I was soap dough-ing! This gives me so much more to go on, and makes me less fearful. I think I'll do the same with making white dough......I still don't know what I think I'm going to make. I'll wait for the rules to come out before I put a ton of thought into it. Thank you, again, for holding my hand! :)

The soap dough/clay recipe links (so far):

Vegan Palm free recipe from Lovin’ Soap (recipe at the bottom of the page) [see post #6]
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2017/08/a-vegan-and-palm-free-soap-dough-recipe-soap-clay/

Lard based recipe from Bhatyi Iyata (Bee’s) of Sorcery Soap (recipe at end of blog page) [from Newbie’s post #1]
http://sorcerysoap.com/sorcery-soap-dough-moldable-soap-recipe/

Melt and Pour recipe from Soap Queen [from Newbie’s post #4]:
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/melt-and-pour-soap/making-play-dough-soap-2/

From what has been said in this thread, and my own experience, it looks like a lot cold process recipes will work, if they are covered to preserve the soft texture.

I won't be posting the entire challenge until February because otherwise it will compete with January's, which isn't the goal. It's not very specific actually as I like to leave things as open to creativity as possible, which means you'll be molding with your hands something from soap dough.

If you are preparing ahead, as advised, a good idea would be to make black and white for certain, and then make three primary colors (colored as batter and then molded)- yellow, red, blue- because you can make other colors from mixing those.

It is perfectly fine to use your own recipe and just treat it as Bee does hers, which is to pour it and cover it. Unmold after 24 hours, seal it away from air in a bag and leave it for a minimum of three days and longer is better.

I have not made dough from M&P but that is fine as well. I just wouldn't make it too squishy as you will want it to hold its shape.

Rhonda Scorpio does a lot of figures with soap:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1SqAdRggSc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1SqAdRggSc[/ame]

THis a short video of Bee making some snails:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNp_h3uAUeQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNp_h3uAUeQ[/ame]

I have to include my beloved Jack Skelington from the B&W challenge as he was hand molded.

Jack Skelington pic.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, newbie. I remember you were playing around with caning awhile back, so it helps to know that isn’t specifically the intent of the challenge. And it’s nice to see Jack make a return appearance.

Thanks newbie, I really appreciate it. I have been having some vision and pain issues, and I have my font zoom to 200, and sometimes I miss stuff because is on the left or right outside of the monitor margin. I guess I need to be way more careful, as it seems I have been making many mistakes lately.

This link shows you how to mix colours one way.

Vegan Palm free recipe from Lovin’ Soap (recipe at the bottom of the page) [see post #6]
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2017/08/a-v...ipe-soap-clay/

From what has been said in this thread, and my own experience, it looks like a lot cold process recipes will work, if they are covered to preserve the soft texture.

I just set aside a little of whatever recipe I'm using to make some soap dough. The important thing is keeping it airtight. The recipe doesn't seem to matter that much. Now, creativity...that's a different matter!

I just set aside a little of whatever recipe I'm using to make some soap dough. The important thing is keeping it airtight. The recipe doesn't seem to matter that much. Now, creativity...that's a different matter!

Agreed. I made some completely accidentally when a CP batch went stupid. Didn't have any idea what I was doing but sealed it up and rolled it out later. (I thought I was so clever.):roll:

Thanks for adding pertinent links, guys!

The challenge will be very open, so no worries.

I have to say, Bee's dough recipe lathers like nobody's business. I have been shocked every time I go to wash my hands after touching the dough. You'd think 20% castor would dull the lather and maybe it does, but if it does, I can only imagine a scene from I Love Lucy or something with suds taking over your kitchen.

Lots of creative dough-soapers out there. I love how 'critter friendly' this technique is!

It seems like most people do 3-D sculptures. Does anyone use them as embeds so in the end they have a bar of soap? There's a design I've been wanting to create but wasn't quite sure how. I think this holds the ticket!

Lots of creative dough-soapers out there. I love how 'critter friendly' this technique is!

It seems like most people do 3-D sculptures. Does anyone use them as embeds so in the end they have a bar of soap? There's a design I've been wanting to create but wasn't quite sure how. I think this holds the ticket!

I just use them for decoration on top of soap. Is that what you mean or do you mean embeds totally hidden inside the soap?

For one of my Christmas soaps, I made balls of various sizes and sunk them into the batter so that I ended up with differently sized dots. This was not my own idea-- I saw a couple of YouTube soapers do it before.

Latest posts

Back