Premixing Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
I was wondering if oils can be premixed and stored in the fridge for making small batches when one has the time? Or would the oils seperate?

I room temp all my oils, fats, and butters for my recipe. I melt the hard butters and fats say for 4 to 6 batches, then add the soft oils to this and stir really well then put into Gain laundry bottle one with a spicket. When I'm ready, I just measure out how many ounces of my master batch I need for XXX size mold after shaking really well. I also use premixed Room Temperature lye solution. The hard oils and soft oils stay liquid when mixed and stored in a 70* room.

Paul.... :wink:

OK good. Thanks Paul.

That'll make things a lot easier for me if I can premix the oils. That way I'll be able to make up small batches with different scents and colors.

I never thought to premix my lye though. That's a good idea. Store in a HDPE container I assume.

Yea, I store it in a bleach container, which is, HDPE. It has the built in pour spout and I can pour very slowly and carefully and not spill a drop. I use all laundry containers for my premixed recipes, lye solutions. Love RTCP!

Paul....:)

Soapmaker Man said:
Yea, I store it in a bleach container, which is, HDPE. It has the built in pour spout and I can pour very slowly and carefully and not spill a drop. I use all laundry containers for my premixed recipes, lye solutions. Love RTCP!

Paul....:)

Apostle Paul has also converted me to the RTCP method. Preach it brother!

That is it! I found my new siggy line thanks to you, Ed! I love it and will start using it now...........:)

From Paul Chapter 1, verse 1;

Don't you just LOVE having everything ready to soap when the notion hits you? No heating, no thermometrers, nothing but your premixed lye solution, your recipe sitting in a large container ready to measure out how many ounces needed, and make soap. AAAHHHHHHH.........

Apostle Paul :wink:

So let me ask, what does RTCP stand for?

Since you make goats milk soap, I assume your lye solution is goats milk and lye. You said you store it in a bleach container. Since it contains goats milk do you need to keep it refridgerated? Or is it safe to store at room temperature once the goats milk and lye are combined?

kooldad said:
So let me ask, what does RTCP stand for?quote]

Room Temperature Cold Process

Which I partially do as well! I do not premix my lye because of my children, but I do have all of my oils premixed in 5 gallon containers.

kooldad said:
So let me ask, what does RTCP stand for?

Since you make goats milk soap, I assume your lye solution is goats milk and lye. You said you store it in a bleach container. Since it contains goats milk do you need to keep it refrigerated? Or is it safe to store at room temperature once the goats milk and lye are combined?

My premixed lye solution contains no goat milk, only by weight 50% lye and 50% aloe vera juice, with a touch of silk fibers when hot. I soap at a 30% solution and my lye premix is at a 50% solution. To bring it down to the 30%, is where the cold goat milk comes in. I also add dried goat milk powder to bring it up to 100% goat milk fats. I have probably confused you, but it is all math and that is why I have light coloured goat milk soaps.
Room Temp Cold Process is great! Ready to soap at a moments notice.

Paul....:) :wink:

OK, my lye solution is 10 oz goats milk to 4.23 oz of lye. I don't add anything else. I purchase evaporated goats milk in 12 oz cans and add 8 oz of water to restore it to a concentration a little bit richer than regular goats milk. That 20 oz of goats milk gives me just enough for 2 batches of soap with nothing left over.

Back